chapter forty-four

Vote if you enjoy!

I watch out the window at the busy street outside, thumbing Draco's ring as my eyes blur with tears. I remember how in the middle of winter I'd sneak into Dumbledore's office, scan the bookshelves for the first book that caught my eye, and curl up in front of the fire. I could barely understand the contents of the book, let alone half of the language, but the leather and paper and the soft, gentle smell of smoke calmed me. When I inevitably got frustrated by the book, Dumbledore would look up, over his glasses, chuckle, and walk over to me. He'd wordlessly pick it up and begin to read. His voice would send me to sleep.

And I'm never going to hear it again. 

I shake my head, wiping tears from my eyes as the door behind me creaks open. 

"I'm not in the mood for another game of cards, Fred-" 

They clear their throat, "Actually, Clara, these two are from the ministry, they have something to discuss with you." 

I jump, turning to see Arthur standing in the doorway next to two people in neat black suits, one man, balding with blonde hair and a gentle smile, and a woman, short, with jagged black hair that hangs around her ears. She smiles at me, and extends her hand, 

"Nancy Tollbot, I work with the minister for magic, and head of the obliviator headquarters." She smiles, and I inch forward, shaking her hand, 

"And I'm Simon Calley, deputy head of the department of law enforcement," He glances at Arthur, "We'd like to talk to her in private, if we may."

Arthur glances at me, and I nod. "I'll be just outside." 

He closes the door, and the three of us stand in silence for a moment. My eyes flutter to the floor and I shift my weight. What on earth do they want to talk to me about? Are they going to convict Draco? Do they want information?

"Shall we sit down?" Nancy asks, nodding at the seats across from the bed and I nod. I sit down slowly on the side of the bed, watching as the two of them sit down on the two white armchairs. Simon leans back, while Nancy sits just on the edge, her back straight. 

I look down at my crumpled hospital gown, biting my lip. I've already been interviewed by the department of law enforcement twice about the death of Dumbledore, in regards to who was on the tower and what was said. Simon clears his throat, and I look up. 

"I don't know if you've seen any newspapers lately, Miss Potter, but Dumbledore has been a star feature." He says, and Nancy nods solemnly, "You too were a breif sensation, though the McGonagall's and a few of their contacts managed to shut that down. However, the public knows that you were thrown of the astronomy tower in the midst of those tragic events-"

Nancy cuts him off, rolling her eyes, "The point is, with a bit of persuasion, whether or not you survived has not been allowed into the public record, and we were going to give you the option of disappearing entirely." 

I frown, "You want to pronounce me dead? What would that do?"

"Using your inheritance from Dumbledore, we can send you somewhere else. America would gladly open it's doors to a refugee such as yourself. You can live a normal life." Nancy smiles,

I grit my teeth, "Harry asked for this, didn't he?"

The meddling little shit. He doesn't think I can do anything. He wants to protect me but that's not what I need. Or want, for that matter. 

"Actually, no, Mrs McGonagall brought the issue forward. Mrs Weasley agreed, and Mr Potter- " Simon pauses, thinking of the right words, "Well he was against it, as a matter of fact." 

I falter, looking up at him. Harry? Wants me to stay? "Really?"

They both nod. "So I take it you want to be pronounced alive? The newspapers will have a field day-"

I shake my head, biting my lip. No. I don't want that. I don't want my survival to be plastered everywhere, no. That would be like walking around with a target on my forehead. If Harry and I are to go hunting for horcruxes, then my vague anonymity would be very useful. I take a breath, 

"Why not just say nothing?"

Nancy frowns, glancing at Simon and then back at me, "Well, I suppose... I mean, it's doable, if you want it to be left open. People will find out sooner or later, you realise, Miss Potter?"

"Yes, but later is preferable," I answer quickly, and she nods, 

"Well, now that's settled, we'll be on our way. Thank you for your time, Miss Potter." Nancy says sweetly, standing quickly and nodding at Simon to do the same. He heaves himself up, coughing into his sleeve and nodding. 

"Have a good day, Miss Potter." He smiles, following Nancy towards the door.

I look back at the window, hearing the door click closed. I take a shaky breath. God, I hope I made the right choice. On the one hand, living a life without any connection to the name Potter would be a relief, but I couldn't just leave. Not now. What sort of person could? And in a way saying I'm alive would be a good thing, Draco would know, but I know for a fact that the public knowing will not be a good thing in its entirety. It couldn't be. 

"You're not going to America are you?"

I turn around, jumping when I see Harry standing in the doorway, wearing a worry-stricken face and a black shirt. I smile, shaking my head.

"How could I? I can't leave the wizarding world in the hands of my idiot brother, that would be irresponsible." 

He walks over to me and pulls me into a hug, letting out a shaky sigh, "Yeah, it really would be." 

xxx

So idk if I should wait to finish this book and publish the next (and last) chapter or finish it now ya feel. Thoughts?

Hope you're enjoying,

Taylor xxx