chapter twenty

Vote if you enjoy!

A month passes uneventfully. Christmas starts breathing down my neck, and the castle seems more lonely than normal. In a few short weeks, days even, I'll be shipped off to the Weasley's for Christmas. If circumstances were different, I'd ask to stay at Hogwarts, but Draco and I haven't spoken. We barely glance at each other, we avoid each other, and we definitely don't speak to each other. Every time I catch him looking at me, I see the pain in his eyes. I ignore it. Winter without his sweaters is colder than normal, though. I considered finding a date for Slughorns Christmas party to make him jealous, but I couldn't bear it. 

Harry and I speak more often, though we don't say much in our conversation it's nice to be talking again. Daphne and Pansy both think I should break old ties and stop talking to Harry, but I ignore them. I'll have to spend Christmas with him so I may as well get us back to being civil. 

Daphne takes the mascara from my hand, smiling to herself as if admiring her own work of art. 

"You look lovely!" She grins, "Lipstick?"

"Er, no thanks," I say quickly. I hate lipstick. Daphne giggles, rolling her eyes and packing her makeup away. 

"Spoilsport." She mutters, amused. 

I glance down at my dress, which is a mottled green and goes down to my knees. I wear a pair of leather heels with it, and my hair is tied up off my face in a bun, courtesy of Pansy. Daphne gives me a final once over, and I smile, twirling for them. Millie grins at me, clapping. 

"You look glorious!" She coos, "Honestly, I hope you have a good time. You deserve it." 

I smile at her, "Don't have too much fun without me, you three." 

They roll their eyes, and Pansy leads me to the door. "Have a good night, don't take drinks from strangers, don't get pregnant, and do not do anything I wouldn't do."

I smile at her, waving back at the others as I head out. I hurry through the common room, knowing I'm probably a bit late. I spot two people walking up ahead of me, both dressed up a bit too, and I assume they must be going to the party as well. I run up to them, my heels clicking on the stone floor. I recognise the messy head of black hair, I catch up to them a bit out of breath, 

"Harry, Luna, hey," I say, breathless, and slightly surprised to see Harry and Luna together. 

"Hello," Harry says cheerfully, 

"You look beautiful, Clara." Luna smiles, 

"You too, Luna." 

"Thank you." 

We walk in silence until we reach the door to Slughorn's party, the music thrumming through the door, a faint golden light peaking underneath it. I smile to myself, stepping forward and swinging the door open, stepping into a brightly lit room. Warm light spills onto us, and I look around at the Christmas decor and smile. Tables ladened with food and people dressed up beautifully fill the room. A few couples are dancing, but I avoid them, instead, I search for Hermione and her mystery date. 

Harry and I walk slowly over to the table of food, both of us scanning the crowd for any sign of her. Suddenly I spot her, with none other than Cormac McLaggen sticking his tongue down her throat. I wince, glancing at Harry and Looking away. We burst out laughing, trying to pretend that we're entertained by the food as opposed to our friend's bad luck.

Our friend's? Did I just say that?

"Cormac-" Harry starts, 

"She brought Cormac," I giggle, "Poor thing, what was she thinking?"

"Would you like a drink?"

I turn around to see Neville, shakily holding a drinks tray. "Neville?" 

"I didn't get into the Slug club. It's ok though, he's got Melvin hanging up towels in the loo room."

"I'm alright, thanks, Neville."

"I'm right too, mate." 

Neville nods, walking past us slowly, hunched over the drinks tray. I look back over to spot Hermione, but she's nowhere to be seen. Or at least for a second, she is, until I realise she's hiding behind the sheer curtains. I tap Harry's shoulder and point her out. He frowns, 

"I'll be back in a sec," He mutters, walking over to her.

I try to distract myself, looking around the room. I wonder if there's someone here I'd actually like to talk to. I search for Neville, finding him only a small distance from me, as he's moving so slowly, and take up his offer of a drink. When I look back up, I see Hermione creeping out from behind the curtain, and I beckon her over to me and she hurries over. 

"Cormac, eh?"

"I thought it would annoy Ron the most." She hisses, 

I wrinkle up my nose, "You're breath-"

"I know. I'm hoping it will deter him." She laughs at herself, rolling her eyes. I giggle, then I see Cormac talking to Snape. 

"Quick, before he sees you," I hiss, and Hermione nods, hurrying off into the crowd. 

I walk over to Harry, who's being addressed by Snape. Snape looks up at me, 

"Ah yes, Clara, you should know that Dumbledore is travelling. He will not be back until the school term resumes, and also, though more of a concern for you than your brother, Minerva is also away. She had a family emergency, one of her nephews has taken ill. She has gone to help keep things in order. She will not return until after the holidays but wishes you a Merry Christmas and your chamber will be left unlocked if you wish to fetch your winter clothes for your stay at the Weasley's." I nod, slightly disappointed I won't get to see Minerva before Christmas. 

"Where is Dumbledore travelling, Professor?" Harry asks, but Snape does not answer. He walks away without another word. Harry and I share a glance. 

Suddenly, half the room erupts with movement. 

"Get your hands off me you filthy Squib-" 

Draco.

Filch drags Draco in by his collar, grinning as if he's won something. Draco, however, looks furious and struggles with every move. His eyes meet mine, and I look away. 

"Professor Slughorn, sir, I just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party-"

"Alright, alright, I was gate crashing! Happy?!" Draco hisses, 

Snape steps forward, "I'll escort him out," He says, 

"Certainly," Draco replies, cooly. Filch begrudgingly lets Draco go, and Snape leads him out. What does Snape want with Draco? I pass Harry my glass, 

"Hold this for me," I mutter, slipping through the moving crowd and following them out. 

I step outside into the corridor, the cold air a stark contrast from the stuffy heat of the party. Shivering slightly, I stay still, listening for something that will point me in the right direction. I hear Draco's voice ringing out from around the corner. Slowly, I creep over, pressing my back up against the stone and listening. His voice is a loud whisper, 

"Maybe I did hex that Bell girl, maybe I didn't. What's it to you?" 

The ground gives way below me. I cling to the stone to hold myself up. No. No please no, please-

xxx

Hello I am back

So I have a dilemma

I really want to publish another two chapters this weekend because it's a long weekend for me but I should really save them in case I don't have enough time to write more sooo

(I'll probably just publish them let's be real)

I value each and every one of you

Taylor xx