Chapter 9

Every step that I took echoed down the pristine hall, the tiled walls and floors were bright, almost too bright, it hurt my eyes, so instead I focused on the darkness at the end. It was far from where I stood, but something was calling to me down this long room. 

Emilia. It called in a soothing tone, sending a roll of heat across my body, it was almost as though I was hearing not with my ears but with my heart.

I was walking steadily, somehow I knew that no matter how fast I walked or ran, I would reach the end no sooner than I was supposed to. It didn't worry me, the end was in sight, I could feel it drawing closer.

Though the further I went, the harder it was to see. The less the walls gleamed with light, the more the tiles appeared cracked and broken. 

Emilia. The voice called out again, this time more urgently. I didn't recognise the voice, but it felt familiar in some way. Like I should have known it. It was almost as though something within me was calling back to it. But I couldn't be sure, it was a man's voice, aged and troubled, yet somehow ringing clearly like a bell. 

The more I walked, the more it became apparent that wherever I was headed, was somewhere I probably did not want to be. It was darker here, and cooler. I could feel a chill spreading across my exposed skin. 

As though sensing my hesitation the voice called once more. You're so close Emilia, just a little further... the words spread another wave of warmth across my body, luring me in closer. 

I knew I must be getting close to the end, because almost all of the light had gone and I was only hoping that my instincts would not lead me astray. 

Emilia...

When the voice spoke again, I reached out, as though hoping it's source would appear in front of me and reveal themselves. But instead of grabbing a hand, my fingers were clutched around a cool metal bar. 

It was easier to see now, my eyes had adjusted to the darkness. The bars before me were clearly that of a cell, though the inside was still pitch black. I leaned in closer, peering between the bars, scanning the badly lit room, looking for, well, anything.

And then...

Eyes.

So startled by their appearance I sprung back from the bars, but the eyes remained steady behind them, wide and afraid. The iris was a clear, light blue, and covered with flecks of silver.

I gasped as I looked into them, identical to my own eyes. But no, these eyes could not be mine, though they were large and frightened, the edges were too harsh, the lashes thicker and darker. 

Emilia! The voice hissed with panic.

I opened my mouth, about to respond, what I was going to say, I don't know. To offer my help? I wasn't sure, for I did not know who this voice belonged to, or who had eyes that were almost exactly like mine. 

But before I could, an alarm began blaring out. I whipped around, trying to see where it was coming from. However there was no obvious source, turning back to face the strange eyes, perhaps hoping for some kind of answer, I was shocked to find the bars gone, in its place an even further stretch of hall. 

In my surprise, I stumbled forwards, and before I knew what was happening the floor seemed to give way, the tiles ripping apart as I fell.

And then I landed in something soft, it caught me, though had the side effect of knocking the breath out of me. 

As I gasped for air, I rolled across onto my back and found myself staring at a ceiling. While waiting for my heart to stop beating so fast, I realised I could still hear the alarm.