Chapter 29

The sky outside was dark – though I could still see with perfect clarity. The world was asleep, nothing was moving, there wasn't even a breeze. It all seemed so peaceful, nothing like the angst I was feeling inside.

Not sleeping meant that I had a lot more time to think – which is what I had been doing for however many hours it had been since my encounter with Andrew. There was something about him... He was mysterious and dark, yet somehow, he wasn't what I had been expecting from a Fallen.

I had expected them to be terrifying, to be cold and inhuman – but this Andrew... yes, he had a strange edge to him, but he seemed so... human. If he hadn't of stopped to stare at me, would I have even noticed him? I certainly hadn't realised he was there by sensing his power – something I had felt only when he came close.

After he had left me, I had rushed back to Lori, afraid that something might have happened to her. But I suppose the Fallen had no reason to hurt my mother, he hadn't even tried to hurt me.

The sun was rising now, I could see it through the window, casting a warm glow across the town. I had always thought glass to be perfectly clear, but it looked to me now like looking through fog – I could still see, but things were blurred. My vision had grown far more precise than I could ever have expected, and I had barely even noticed it changing. I could see anything I wanted to.

I wasn't sure how long I had been sat like that, by the window, watching nothing change at all. But the sun had risen now, and it was time for me to be productive. Today was the day I'd go back to school – no doubt I would have a lot to catch up on, but if I wanted to live on Earth with my mother, I needed to go back there, to be (or at least, try to be) normal again.

Quickly, I changed into some of my clothes – jeans and a jumper (though I liked the clothes Jasmine had leant me, I didn't want to wear the same things every single day). I considered going for a shower, but truth be told I didn't feel like I needed to. Ever since learning my true identity I had begun noticing things about my body that didn't quite seem right – like how I didn't sweat any more, my hair no longer got greasy, my skin had grown softer and I suddenly wasn't experiencing human needs like hunger and thirst.

I couldn't say I was upset with such changes – the amount of money I was already saving on food was enough to make me swoon.

And so, in less time than it had ever taken me before, I was ready for school. Though being early was probably going to be a good thing today, as I'd have to go speak to the principal about where I'd been.

Beginning the walk to school, I noticed how strange it was to not dread the walk, to not have to worry about carrying a heavy bag anymore because of how my strength had grown.

So much had changed. I was glad that my mother knew what I was. Naturally, I was shocked to find out that she knew, but ultimately, I was happy. Not having to lie to her about where I would be going all the time, or why I was no longer eating and sleeping – it was a relief. My only concern was what the angel council would do if they found out. I can't imagine that they would be okay with it – they were so careful to try and keep it a secret from her.

I hoped that she hadn't spotted Andrew in the crowd, I wasn't sure if she knew about the Fallen or not, but I hoped she would never have to. I didn't want her to be afraid of anything to do with angels, anything to do with me.

Unfortunately, I had a gut feeling that I would be seeing Andrew again, and soon. I could only hope that he wouldn't be bringing trouble with him.

I made sure to walk slowly, knowing I was going to be arriving extremely early otherwise. So, when I got to school, other students had already arrived, hanging around outside.