Chapter 26

"Emilia, how was your trip to Earth?" The Reed asked me, stopping me as I was walking through the courtroom – I had been planning to head back to my room, I wanted some time to think.

"We didn't discover anything knew." Except the discovery that my supposed friends were lying to me. "We didn't spend as much time there as planned."

"Why not?" She was surprised.

I shrugged. "I'd rather not go back again with Jasmine or Noah." I left it at that. I was expecting her to question me further, but she let it go, her expression sympathetic. Well, she was an angel – it was in her nature to be kind, though I suppose that doesn't apply to all the angels.

"Who would you prefer to go with?" She asked. It hit me that I really didn't know any other angels. They were polite enough when I passed them, but they rarely stopped for an actual conversation – they were always busy doing something.

"I don't know anyone here – except Acacius." I told her, sighing. They'd never let Acacius accompany me.

She seemed thoughtful. "The court has agreed to reassess Acacius' case once we know the full extent of your abilities."

"Really?" I asked hopefully. Did that mean he might be free sometime soon?

She nodded. "I can't promise anything, he did break the rules. But it was an isolated incident. Once we are sure you have stopped changing, and can confirm you aren't a danger, he will be reassessed."

A vision flashed across my mind, me and my mother together... with my father. Like a real family. Only my mother now thinks he's dead... I'm not sure how she would react to seeing him alive.

"What would that mean... for my mother? If he was released?" I asked cautiously.

She seemed to hesitate. "Humans aren't to know of our existence. That includes you now. It would be in her best interest not to see him again." I was afraid of that – still, I could understand it. It saddened me that I couldn't tell my mother what I was, what had happened to me. But like the Reed said, it was in her best interest.

"Regardless, it certainly won't be for a while." She added, "And not until we know your abilities. I suggest you continue the trips to Earth with an angel. I shall accompany you myself, that might be the best way to ensure your safety and properly monitor your progress."

I was a little stunned, I had expected her to assign a random Searcher to go with me. "Um, okay. Thank you... um..."

"Claire. We'll go now." She told me, raising a hand up in the air and flicking her wrist. One of the Searchers that stood guard around the room quickly approached us. "Scott, would you mind accompanying us to Earth?"

Scott was pretty tall and burly looking, and coupled with the serious expression on his face, there was something about him that made me a little bit frightened.

He nodded and went to stand in front of the portal. I watched as he opened the portal as Jasmine had done previously by unfurling his wings and plucking a feather. It made me wince, the reminder of Jasmine seemed to send a stab of pain right through my heart.

I watched as Claire took off her white robes, revealing the same casual attire that everyone here seemed to wear. She hurried over to one of the benches on the wall and hung the robe on a hook behind it, before joining us by the portal.

Claire motioned for me to go through first, and I did – grateful that I had a short moment on the other side to steady myself, I still wasn't quite used to how the other side was horizontal. At least I didn't fall over this time.