Chapter 34

For quite possibly the first time ever, I didn't trip up or fall over going through the portal. I stepped through gracefully, prepared for the strange shift in gravity.

Being back in Heaven did give me a strange sense of peace. I felt like maybe, one day I could belong here. But maybe not... if they found out that I had been spending time with a Fallen...

It wasn't like anyone has specifically told me that I wasn't meant to – even so, I was left with a feeling of guilt that told me I shouldn't be doing it.

Perhaps my break from Earth would give me some time to think, to gain a better perspective.

The courtroom was almost entirely empty, just a few Searchers stood guard by the portal. I headed towards the white tunnel, the one that led to the outside. I decided that I wanted to go up to my room. I didn't exactly have any friends up there, so I had nowhere else I particularly wanted to go. Besides, it was about time to go decorate that room of mine.

I kept my head hanging low, staring at my feet as I walked. I didn't feel like I was in the mood to speak to anyone, so perhaps they wouldn't bother me if I walked like this.

But that wasn't going to stop everyone.

"Emilia." A gentle voice cut in, I saw a pair of feet in front of me.

And I couldn't help myself. My stomach was suddenly filled with warmth, and my natural reaction was to look up. Right into those green eyes covered with tiny silver flecks.

Noah.

His shoulders were hunched forwards, his eyes drooping slightly. I was shocked at how... exhausted, he seemed to be. "Can we talk?"

I took a deep breath, and quickly skirted around him, rushing away as quickly as I could. Strangely, the back of my shoulders began to ache a little, but it was easy to ignore, instead focusing on my escape.

"Emilia!" He called out, "I just want to talk! Please?"

But I couldn't. I just couldn't face him, knowing he had betrayed me, lied to me.

"Emilia!" He called again. I kept running. Straight for the Guardian tower, right up the stairs to my room at the very top.

It was almost as empty as it had been the last time I was here. There was just one new addition: A huge white bed, set up in the middle of the room.

I sighed when I saw it. Noah had built this for me, when I thought that perhaps I would still need sleep. Even if not for that, it looked incredibly comfortable.

I lay down on it immediately, glad at how soft it was. I could have easily fallen asleep there, in that moment.

If it wasn't for the gust of wind that suddenly billowed across the sheets.

I sat up immediately, looking up. Stood in front of me was Noah. His wings were out, though they seemed to droop, not their usual strong selves. Slowly, he brought them back inside his shoulders.

I got up off of the bed, staring at him in shock, does he have no boundaries?

"What are you doing here?" I exclaimed, irritated. As I spoke, I noticed a slightly burning sensation where my shoulders were. I reached back distractedly, was there something on my back?

"Tell me what's wrong." He begged. "Please, I just want to know why you've been ignoring me."

I said nothing, turning my back to him and pretending to fiddle around with the shelves – not that there was anything on them yet.