Chapter Twelve

12.26.17
edit: 8.19.20

TW; r**e. not in great detail. it's at the end of the chapter, i'll let you know when it happens. abuse, homophobia, and suicide mention too
be careful pals, stay safe, alive, well, strong and anything else i've forgotten. you mean the world to me, and i mean it. this one is a woozy.
1,626 words

awsten p.o.v.

geoff and i (mostly me) have been friends for a few months now. it was december now, three days before we got out for christmas break.

we had been teaching geoff asl during that time, and he was catching on rather quickly. if he didn't know something yet, he would make us stop right then and there to tell him and teach him.

otto and i waited for geoff to get to the library, where we always sat together to eat lunch. they both made sure i ate all of my lunch when i packed it. they were happy with most of my lunch being eaten if one of them had made my lunch because they packed me a lot.

geoff came in with a nervous look. giving me an orange-blue paisley feeling. what is it? i signed.

"i have a proposal for you two." he replied.

"wow, geoff, how did you know i was poly?" otto asked with fake surprise.

"it's not that hard to tell." geoff said, obviously not realizing that otto was kidding.

otto nearly choked on his sandwich. i thumped him on the back. geoff just looked at us with confusion before he started his speech.

"anyway, not a marriage proposal-we're too young for that shit anyway-but a hangout proposal. i-i wanna like-do y'all wanna come spend winter break over at my house? because like, i-i know that awsten hasn't had a real christmas in a long time. i wanna give that to you, ya know?" he added quickly to me.

"sounds like a plan, stan." otto said, much quicker than with what i'm comfortable with. "awsten, you have no say in this. we'll ask your dad and-"

i wildly waved my arms to get their attention. no, no. i need to ask him, or my grandparents or something. i-

"your grandparents are still alive?" otto asked, snapping a bit. i jumped at his tone.

yeah, i reluctantly signed, but i didn't bring up my little sister, gracie. sometimes they're the voice of reason for...my father. which was not a lie, exactly, but they didn't need to know the full story.

"why haven't you spent any christmases with them then?" geoff asked.

they live far, i lied. they really only lived two hours away. my friends didn't need to know that either. and no one really has the funding to travel to each other.

"that sucks ass." geoff pouted. you like sucking ass, i pointed out.

he shrugged. "maybe if it's otto's."

otto started choking on his lunch again. geoff helped him out and apologised whilst laughing at him.

my mind drifted. in reality, i hadn't seen my grandparents or gracie in years. i've stopped trying to convince him to drive us over there. many times, my entire family situation could suck a dick and i wouldn't be too jealous. i was angry at mum for not taking me with her and gracie when she took gracie to my grandparents for her to live with them.