"Just let go." (Dwalin)

+++++

Theme: Imagine Dwalin having to make a tough decision.

Fandom: Dwalin/The Hobbit

Word Count: 1127

Warnings: Mentions of death, extra long cause I got in my feels on this one

+++++

Thirteen dwarves, two hobbits, and one wizard was an odd company to put together, but it worked for them. 

Y/N was a girl that Gandalf picked up on his way to retrieve Bilbo Baggins, the thief. She was our cook and my, was she more talented in that area than Ori ever was. 

When she wasn't cooking, she was maintaining our clothes, taking care of the ponies, and documenting all the adventures we went on. 

I could see her writing in her books, probably about the wonders of Rivendell and the elves that resided here. The elvish women seemed to of fixed Y/N's hair in beautiful braids, pinned against her head and some laying down her back. 

The also have given her a white robe, made of what looked like satin, that gracefully drug the ground as she walked. I couldn't help but watched her stare intently at her journal, which I wished I could read so badly. 

"Dwalin." Thorin echoed behind me. I stood up quickly and turned around to bow. 

"Yes, my king?" I replied. 

"Pack all of the company up. We are leaving this place immediately. Meet me at the gates as soon as you can." Thorin commanded, walking away briskly. 

I turned around and looked behind me at all the company standing up also with me. 

"King Thorin has commanded that we leave this instant. Pack all that you brought and meet at the gates." I demanded and the company, including myself began packing.

+++++

"What will Gandalf think about us just leaving him?" I heard Y/N's voice asked Bilbo in a hushed tone behind me.

"I'm not for sure, but we must keep trekking." Bilbo replied, as we kept climbing through the rock-ridden path of Rivendell.

The rain was pouring hard, soaking everyone and everything we had. It was also making the path very slippery.. which was not a good thing. 

I looked down at my feet and noticed the ground began to shake under them. I yelled as the rocks began cracking and crumbling underneath our feet. 

"ROCK GIANTS!" I heard somebody yell out and that's when I looked back to see Y/N on top of a huge cracked rock.

"Y/N!" I yelled before taking her hand in mine and trying to pull her closer to me. 

I was too late though. 

Y/N held on to my hand as she dangled from the huge mountain side. I laid down on my stomach and grasped her hand as if my life depended on it. The look of fear was in her eyes as I tried my best to pull her up. 

"Hold on, Y/N! I'll bring you up!" I yelled, hoping she would hear me over the two stone giants fighting. 

I kept pulling her up and pulling her up, but every time she would get close to safety, the rock giant would move and she would fall yet again. We tried this many times, and suddenly I could hear a cracking sound under my belly. 

"Dwalin... You are going to fall... You must let go of me." Y/N ordered me. 

"Let you go? Never Y/N! I won't let you die!" I shouted before trying to pull her up again. 

"It's futile.. please Dwalin. You cannot die saving me, Thorin needs you." Tears were brimming in both of our eyes as my grip tightened on her. 

"And I need you, Y/N... I.. I seem to of grown fond of you." I admitted to her. 

"I feel the same.. and if this was a different time and a different circumstance than I would be much happier. But you have to let go.." 

How could I let go of her? I couldn't.. not Y/N. She wasn't suppose to dies first. She wasn't suppose to die at all. 

"Just let go." She said, smiling through the tears that were flowing from our eyes. 

My grip was loosening on her and I could feel her hand slipping through mine. 

"I'm sorry.." Her hand let go of mine and I watched as Y/N fell, eyes closed and a smile on her face. Her satin dress flowed in the wind, making her look like a white dove flying through the sky, unafraid and free. As if in slow motion, I watched her disappear into a dark abyss of the Rivendell mountains .I screamed out in agony before being suddenly pulled away by Thorin. 

"Hurry, we must leave!" Thorin said, dragging me away while the ground beneath us crumbled.

+++++

After the Battle of the Five Armies..

+++++

Today had been a bittersweet day.. We won the battle, but lost our king and future heirs to Erebor. My closest friend and companion was gone. Right as we were on the tip of reclaiming our home.

We all headed back to the Castle, disappointed and unable to celebrate that we were back home. 

"Dwalin.." I heard Bilbo say behind me, "I have been holding on to something for a while. I wish for you to own now." 

Bilbo reached into his backpack and pulled out something I thought I'd never see again. 

Y/N's journal.

Holding it in his hands, I looked at in in awe and turned away, so he wouldn't see the tears filling my eyes. 

"I know we are all heartbroken right now, so I thought that maybe you would want to read this. I've made sure that no one has looked at it.. I shall leave it right here." I nodded my head quickly, as he left it behind my feet. 

I listened to the echos of his feet until I could hear them no more. Then, and only then, was when I turned around just in case anyone would catch me crying. 

I picked up the small, leather bound book and opened it. What was inside was pages and pages of poetry, describing the Shire, when the company got captured by trolls.. and even Rivendell. 

I flipped to the last page she wrote on and read the words out loud.

"If I am to die on this trip, I will be okay. 

For the journey I've had has been more than I could have ever dreamed. 

But if I stick around and see the gates of Erebor, 

I believe I will stay there. 

I don't believe that I could ever leave any of the company, 

And I hope that the company would never want me to leave either. 

They have brought me immense joy and a love like I have never been shown before. 

And for that, 

I will stay with them forever."

Wiping my eyes, I smiled to myself, knowing that Y/N was there for me as a white dove flew through the halls of Erebor and out into the sun-lit sky above.