Chapter 5: Abominations

Chapter 5:

I tripped falling on my behind, glancing back automatically to see Derek Mace fight the two abominations of nature by himself. I gasped out loudly.  

The clouds were starting to cluster, piling up on the western horizon, creating an early sunset. The eastern sky was still clear, but turning gray, shot through with strips of pink and orange. When I looked over my shoulder, a tall figure of a huge giant muscular werewolf stood before me, a beauty in its own disguise. His eyes dark red, bloodthirsty - an enticing jewel, his face wolf like and sharp canine teeth extended out and his hands bared claws. Half wolf and half man he was. Derek faced his oncoming attackers as they pursued towards him. He was powerful, stronger than any creature I had ever seen, a tiger in pursuit of his prey: swift, smooth and refined, as he threw one of the beasts to the ground before allowing it to hurt him.

All I could think in that space of time was: WOW! How cool he looked as he set fire to the path of danger.

I clutched a hand to my terrified heart. The acts before me were violent and gruesome and there was no arguing against that as he brutally engaged in attack mode. The creatures begging in pain. But still. It was two against one.

In a flash he was suddenly standing in front of me. His fingers gripped my chin and forced me to look in his deep red eyes. I shivered and his canines disappeared. And He looked more human and less scarier.

"You're killing me here, Arianne!"

I crunched my brows together.

"I'm not doing anything."

He was breathing hard, every part of him braced and ready to attack again. We locked gazes, and a thousand messages seemed to flow between us as the electricity crackled in the air.

"Exactly my point."

I hadn't even caught the moment with my eyes, but Derek swiftly had one of the beasts tossed - lifted into the air with the ease of his strength - flying across the distance smashing into a pale gray concrete statue of an angel. Derek was already charging to the other one while the pieces fell to the ground sharply with a crash along with the brown deformed beast that cried out at the brunt of the fall. The fallen one looked towards me for revenge and started bawling in my direction as it got up, shaking of the broken pieces of the angel, snarling its razor sharp teeth at me.

It was then that Derek snapped around, taking his eyes of the other beast still circling close to him. His dark red eyes bored into me and he exposed his rather large wolf like teeth at me, his canines extended more than the rest. With a roaring bark, he warned me. He sounded ferociously vicious. I got the message. I needed to leave before I died.

His lack of attention to the beast near him gave it the perfect opportunity to attack Derek. He had still been focused on trying to warn me back to the car when the beast jumped onto Derek, snapping his teeth to draw oozing blood out of Derek's arm. With a sharp move, Derek jerked the beast off him and aggressively - almost forceful - and ripped the beast in half, literally. The lifeless contents were thrown mercilessly to the ground.

I quickly got up again - my knees scrapping against the rough ground - pushing forward, running as fast as the adrenaline in my body pumped. I got to my car, struggling to get my key out of the pocket of my jeans. I wasn't trying to allow terror to consume me as I finally got my keys out only to drop it when another similar beast stepped out from around the other side of my car.

My eyes widened in shock and fear.

I jerked backwards.

The beast was growling, breathing heavily and saliva dropped out from its open mouth.