Chapter 14: Unbuttoned Shirts and Unbuttoned Hearts

Chapter 14:

I could not fall off to sleep after that. Not after I had heard his 'Yes'. It haunted me worst than my sister's letter had. I felt no feeling of tiredness consume me as lay in the bed staring up at the chocolate ceiling the way Derek had done when he showed me the room. He didn't stay with me that night. I was sort of glad he didn't.Things between us were a lot more different since last night, there was a drastic change hovering over us and the course of our relationship between each other was turning. Yet, he and I still held onto the same restraints of handcuffs to commit to detachment from the irrevocable bond forming between us and I wondered when we both would let it go. I rested my head on the pillow and drifted into a more peaceful oblivion than I had any hope of.

The next morning, I woke from the deep and dreamless sleep, feeling well rested, but stiff. I shot to my feet from under the baby-blue comforter and shuffled over to the antique oak armoire. Outside the casement widows the leaves were beginning to turn orange and red. The change of season was arriving and I had been in Ridge Black Valley for quite some time now. Exams were around the corner along with winter break. An owl was perched upon a maple tree across the lawn. I pulled out a peach orange Ginger and Java strapless mini-dress and headed over to the bathroom.

When I got out, I wondered what the day would have in store for me. I had never imagined that I would end up in his home - Derek's home - and yet, here I was, sleeping in one of his beds, using his shower and having my clothes packed neatly away in his drawers as if everything between us was okay and well. It wasn't of course, but still, that did not stray from the fact that he had allowed me here, that some part of Derek actually wanted to protect me and was obligated to care about me. I felt ...charmed and beguiled.

Of course I hadn't expected him to fall on his knees and express his dire love to me.

But, the simple honest thought that he honestly gave a crap about my life was an invigorating,enjoyable movement in some progress of our relationship. And, I couldn't help but ask myself if I wanted that with him. A relationship. The word seemed foreign and yet so proverbial as if it was a natural fit.

I strapped my cream Prada tote to the bend of my elbows, not knowing what I'd find downstairs. A walking dream or a living nightmare? Both? Either way, Derek was always going to be s.ex on a stick. I almost felt bad for crushing on a man my sister loved, but my own feelings was something I had no control over these days. It was spiraling.

The kitchen was warm and inviting with aromatic scents of food. I realized that I hadn't eaten properly the day before, but it seemed that I wasn't the only one who was hungry. Derek's plate was piled high on the bagels, muffins, bacon, omelettes and toast. He was so engrossed by eating that I thought he wouldn't notice me enter the kitchen, but apparently my scent would always be a dead give away to my presence as he immediately turned to look at me. A pink flush tinged my cheeks as his thundercloud gray eyes washed over me approvingly and at first they seemed surprised as if he was still getting use to the idea of me being around him, given these past few days - I had been around him quite often. Surely I was growing on him by now.

My fingers knotted together in front of me and I stared at the floor. "Derek...?" he raised an eyebrow up and watched me as the unease shot through me and I struggled to find the words to tell him how thankful I was for everything he had done for me so far. "I...I just wanted you to know that you didn't have to do all those things for me, saving me, bring me here, letting me find safety with being around you, but you did anyway and I'm grateful for it all." A smile teased his lips. "Thank you."

He dropped his head with a shake and expelled a heavy sigh. When he looked up, his gray eyes were ablaze with a glimmering shine. The look that suddenly filled his eyes had the tips of my ears burning. "You are an enigma, Arianne Rose," he said softly.