Chapter 17: When the lights go out

Chapter 17:

“I feel sorry for the kids who are about to go trick or treating tomorrow night. They’re going to freeze,” said Karlie dabbing her finger against her mouth. She had just smeared a rich, dark “Kiss me Quick” burgundy red lipstick over her lips and puckered up to the mirror. It was framed in a thick silver band and matched the rest of the silver and black décor in the bedroom of her house in the South side of Ridge Black Valley. It belonged to Aaron too. This was his house. I was on the other side of the Main Street that divided the town in half.

I had stayed over the weekend at Karlie’s place without really informing Derek Mace about it either. Not that he showed any concern towards me. The past week was me staying at his house where he made a point to be scarce and unavailable as if he didn’t live there himself. I hadn’t heard a word from him either. Sea or Chet took turns driving me to the university, paying attention to me. They became my friends in the process too.

And when I had enough of staying in a house I felt rather unwelcomed at, Karlie suggested that I stay at her place for awhile. The pre - Halloween Party was a prompt affair that had everyone up in a twist at RBVU. Even I was excited. 

The champagne foam bubbled over in our glasses as we pounced around Karlie’s room and tried on different outfits in front of the mirror. Our squeaking giggles and flamboyant jokes echoed along the thin walls.

“F.uck the kids… I’m dressing as an angel – a s1utty angel.”

Karlie agreed, “Of course.”

“And that means I’m basically wearing lingerie. My nipp1es will probably freeze and fall off.”

“S1utty Arianne, I didn’t know you had it in you. But, the angel part – totally.” She winked back at me through the mirror and then turned around to attend to her glass of golden champagne. “Arg!” she cried out clutching the collar of the olive green dress. “This dress makes me feel like Fiona from Shrek. Maybe I should go as a vampire? Wouldn’t that just be so ironic if I pulled out the fake fangs?”

I cringed. “I thought you were going for the Romeo and Juliet look? Medieval? The dress ain’t that terrible.”

She shot up an eyebrow and the truth is no one at college parties would think it was hot.

“Okay, it totally sucks.” I said bending over with laugher and the swish made the golden bubbly liquid tip over the sides of my glass. “Badass vampire sounds more fun.”

“Yeah, they do.”

I sipped on my glass, watching her rummage around for a better outfit for the Halloween dance at RBVU, “So I just had a thought, now that we talking about them. Do they exist?”

“What? Vampires?”

I nodded. “I mean Ridge Black Valley is a town full of werewolves. Surely there must be vamps lurking around.”

“Arg, no,” Karlie’s face soured in the mirror as she drank from her glass and brushed on more mascara, “Some people will tell you werewolves can only shape change under a full moon, but people also say there's no such things as ghosts. They don’t exist, but then I suppose you believe in aliens and angels too. I blame television. I’m guessing you’d rather prefer a vampire boyfriend, if they did exist?”

I shrugged, “Well, to my knowledge in all vampire and werewolf triangles, the vampire always gets away with the girl.”

We both burst out laughing.

“Poor Derek, the boy has no clue,” Karlie grins before turning around and placed her champagne flute down on a coffee table that was covered in clothes we had both already tried on. She started to unzip her green dress and it fell to the floor revealing her rather audacious black Le Perla set underneath at the same time Aaron walked into the room dressed in a pirate costume looking like Jack Sparrow. The eyes of the Alpha of the other pack that also lives in this town, glaze over with delirious desire and thick temptation for his mate and he shivered and in a flash he was behind her, licking the two spots that marked her neck. I feel the pang of envy hit me as I watch their affectionate displays. I see so much love in his eyes for Karlie and without a doubt he would do anything for her. And, I find my situation with Derek on the opposite pole where his eyes are filled with confusion, shame and anguish.