Chapter 30: the Wolf's Head

Chapter 30:

It wasn’t soon after that Sea rang the doorbell. The sound had interrupted our moment and we both, quickly pulled apart from each other. Derek retreated to the other end of the terrace, leaning over the balcony’s edge and gazing out to the horizon and the town. He pulled out another cigarette and held it to his lips. But, I could tell that it was only a distraction for his part, doing something to get his mind off the high intoxication that we were both under. He stomped out his burning joint out halfway, not really in the mood to smoke, but in need of a diversion and continued to gaze out into the open space. The muscles in his back were tense in his back. Just when I thought he was giving me the cold shoulder, Derek turned his head around for one last look in my direction. His gray eyes pierced mine as his gaze settled on me with a heated ferocity that sent a shiver down my spine.

What was it that we both wanted?

Was it the simple need that floated between us to be together?

Or was it the want that aimed to put an end to this torturing bliss that created havoc between us?

Either way there was only one outcome in this situation.

We were there on the terrace looking at the view ahead of us in a comfortable silence. There was something restful with both of our presence together.

Derek Mace was beautiful to look at. He was all muscle, so solid and powerful. He was over six feet tall. Sculpted broad shoulders. His back was contoured, and his muscles tapered down to a trim waist, making him look like a perfect specimen. With bronze hair freshly cut in a crew cut, chiselled cheekbones, a strong jaw, and a perpetual smirk that tugged at the corner of his mouth, he could’ve been a model. He wasn’t. Instead, he was the Alpha of a pack of werewolves, mystical creatures that secretly subsisted on the earth. I realised that this earth didn’t only belong to humans; we shared it with these beautiful creatures. Yet, they were forced to hide themselves beneath our reign even if they were the dominant species. How humbling they were and how selfish we were. 

When Sea’s form appeared momentarily after the sharp ring of the doorbell, Derek quickly snapped out of the avid trance. Sea flashed us a smile and walked up to me, laying a gentle kiss on the top of my head. It was only I who caught the sight of Derek narrowing his eyes and tilting his head by half an inch with a bewildered expression.

It wasn’t long before, Sea ruffled my light blonde hair, “Looking good, D-man,” whistled Sea as he made his way over to Derek as he clapped Derek on the back and the two of them exchanged a bout of silent whispers. They always did that in front of me as if they didn’t want me overhearing their conversation. I could never understand it. I shook my head and disappeared back into the room. They were up to something. Both of them. I could only gather that it was the reason why Derek had asked Sea to babysit me. As if I needed babysitting! What was I? Five?

I growled under my breath feeling irritated.

It rolled off me in waves as I stomped around the room to jab at the buttons on the remote control, flipping the channels on the plasma-screen TV that mounted to the wall of the bedroom, until it finally landed on E! Entertainment. I flopped into one of the comfortable vintage arm chairs and rested my head against the soft cushioning.

A movement caught my attention. I could hear the soft hum of someone inhaling and exhaling behind me. It wasn’t till that someone bent down from behind the chair, the tip of a nose gently brushing the outline curve of my ear and hands softly placed on both sides of the chair, that I knew it was Derek. “I leave you now. Yet, somehow that seems incredibly hard to do.”

I gasped.

I could still feel the warmth of his breath on the edge of my ear. The skin felt too sensitive upon hearing his deep baritone.