Chapter 21: Crossroads

Chapter 21:

He looked like he wanted to swear. I had gotten us lost and I guess I deserved to hear him swear. He should be swearing. But, he didn’t swear and the string of curses that I expected to come out of his mouth never did. He didn’t say anything. He didn’t even ask me to stop the car and I wanted more than anything to stop the car and I realized then that was why he didn’t ask for me to stop the car. He was punishing me by not asking me to stop the car. My foot hovered on the brake and my fingers itched to pull the emergency handle.

The look on his face was as cold as ice and he only kept glaring at the road. Great. I had a magical skill of knowing how to p.iss him off unintentionally. It was not a skill I hoped to possess rather disown. Karlie had once warned me never to p.iss a werewolf off and why, oh why, did I have a habit of doing it? I guess fate was actually doing me more of a favor by keeping me away from Ridge Black Valley. Maybe fate wanted to prevent me from p.issing off werewolves, knowing that I would only know how to do just that.

His silence was infuriating and my hands stiffened on the wheel. So much for driving his gorgeous car.

Actually, this was his fault more than mine. He should have been paying attention to the road. I mean he was worried about me driving his car in the first place. He chose to be on his phone and how could he expect a girl from New York to know where she’s going? It wasn’t exactly fair that he was putting all the blame on me and I wanted to burst out crying and I know I just couldn’t do that because that would just satisfy him. I didn’t want to satisfy him. I wanted to be just as angry as he was.

I looked ahead, focusing my violet eyes on the road and now I really did know why he didn’t bother to ask me to stop or pull over, do a U-turn. It was too late because the stretch of the road wasn’t a long stretch that it first felt like when I realized we were lost. There was a T junction ahead.

 I could have bought me a one way ticket to New York at this rate.

Derek rubbed his chin while refusing to say anything.

“You a real a.ssho1e, you know that?”I grumbled.

He didn’t reply.

Probably because he already knew he was one.

I squeezed my eyes closed briefly and let out a deep breath. “Are you listening to me or are you in some kind of shock?"

I stopped in front of the T junction. I wasn’t going to move until he said something.

You know I’d been accustomed to the rich fancy life for the duration of my existence. But, I had never once pulled a spoilt brat stunt to look for attention, affection and acceptance, but I had a feeling that I was about to throw one. I liked to consider myself not bratty. Lately my life was starting to feel like some Greek tragedy.

“What is wrong with you?” I cried as I unbuckled my seat belt and pushed the door open with frustration. I knew I was never going to get a reply so I just slammed the door back in his face. There was a bang of metal against metal. I would hate to damage his car and I knew that must have snapped him out of his funk because he valued his car above all those other cars in his garage. I had not seen him drive any other except for this one.

In a blink he, himself, was out of the car and glaring furiously at me from the other side. “What the f.uck are you doing?” he grumbled. Finally he faced me, his face hard and his shoulders tense. Derek made no other move and I fumbled my purse out of the car and roughly pinned it to the bend of my elbow.

“I’m leaving,” I said softly. “I’ll find my own way back to town because if I have to spend another second in that car with you, I’m going to explode. It would look ugly if I did and I don’t do ugly.”