5| Two Teams but One Soul

Naruto, Sasuke, Hinata, and Kurama listened intently as Iruka began to call out names and their given Sensei's, practically straining to catch one of their names fall from their teacher's lips.

Sasuke leaned back in his seat, staring out the window in faux disinterest, but keeping his ear angled towards the dark skinned teacher as he called out Team 2. Hinata looked at Iruka politely but demurely, a hint of a blush on her face but leant forward slightly in anticipation. Kurama laid his head down on his desk, sighing in boredom but at the same time keeping his genjutsu-ed ears pricked at attention. Naruto was practically squirming his seat though, clearly the most excited and eager student out of all the kids. Personally, he just wanted to relax and play it cool but he knew his knuckleheaded persona would be excited.

Iruka paused in his listing of names when he came to Team 6, rereading a little note before clearing his throat, "As there are an odd number of children in this class, the Hokage has decided that Teams 6 and 7 shall have 4 teammates each"

The Heir's immediately perked up at this. Due to this recent development, maybe they'd actually have the chance to have a team of all 4 of them. They couldn't help with pray with all their might that this happened, knowing that they would be far more comfortable this way and by far the strongest team ever made.

"Team 6:", Iruka continued, scanning the 4 names listed, "Hinata Hyugga"

That's one.

"Kurama Kitsune"

That's two. The 4 children held their breaths, their muscles tense with eagerness.

"Yasuko Namikaze-Uzumaki"

Kurama promptly face planted his desk, banging it up and down loudly. "Why?" BANG! "Us" BANG! "Kami?" BANG!

Hinata couldn't help but want to do the same. Inside, she was groaning in irritation and wanted to slap sense into Iruka, but on the outside, she only sent a timid smile towards Yasuko before patting Kurama on the back in concern.

Sasuke and Naruto shared a look over Sakura, both disappointed. Naruto turned away and looked over at Yasuko with barely hidden contempt when he noticed that she sent his two best friends a disgusted look. If anything, she should be glad and practically glowing in happiness that she has the Fairy Heir and Kyubbi turned Heir Mentor on her team. He knew he was being mildly irrational in thinking this considering no one knew about them, but still. She should at least give them a chance.

"And finally Kai Onishi", Iruka-Sensei continued, ignoring Kurama's head bashing. "Their mentor shall be Hotaru Rumi"

Kurama jolted up at the name, his red-black eyes widening in surprise. Naruto cast a small questioning look in his direction, opening up the mind link. 'What is it?', he asked.

Kurama waved his hand dismissively discreetly. 'I'll tell you and the others tonight. Just focus on Iruka right now'

Naruto felt a little hesitant about waiting for the information, wanting to object to his words. He didn't like not knowing something or being out of the loop, as it meant someone else had the upper hand and he was left mentally vulnerable. Still, Kurama was his mentor and he trusted him more than anything, so the blond boy did as he was instructed.

"Team 7: Naruto Namikaze-Uzumaki"

Naruto perked up hearing his name. If they did their persona's correctly, Naruto knew that Sasuke would be on his team as well, but if they didn't then there was a high chance that he wouldn't be listed. In all honestly, none of the 4 really thought that far ahead. What would they do if they were put on 3 different teams? They put into account the 2 different ones, but some changes to the plan would be altered now that two extra people were added. That was already just beginning to give them headaches trying to figure out alternatives but if there was basically a whole new team added to the mix, everything would go down the drain.

"Sakura Haruno"

Naruto winced internally, wondering what he ever did to deserve a banshee on his team. The only good thing about her was the fact that she was smart. Unfortunately, her boy crazed attitude, vanity, and Sasuke obsession trumped that one good quality of hers. In hind sight, they should've seen this coming since Naruto was the dead last of the class, but it was still disheartening. Still, he launched up and out of his seat with a cheer. "Yay! Sakura-Chan and I are on the same team!"

Sakura groaned and face planted her desk with a grumble.

"Aw, Sakura-Chan what's wrong?", he asked leaning over her with a pout, "do you not want to be on the same team?"

Sakura lifted her head and glared at him, bluntly stating, "no, I don't"

Despite knowing what her answer would be, he couldn't help the flinch and flash of sadness at her words before plastering a smile, laughing carelessly as he sat back down.

Iruka smiled at the exuberant blond before continuing, "Sasuke Uchiha"

And just like that, a weight was taken off the blond boy's shoulders. He was beyond happy in that moment but forced himself to jump up with a scream of dismay as Sakura squealed in happiness and latched herself onto said named boy's arm, rubbing her face against him.

Both Sasuke and Naruto cringed in disgust, and Sasuke couldn't help the harsh shove her gave the girl. "Stop acting like a child, Sakura", he said with a glare.

Now if anyone else said that to her, she'd have gotten in their face and yelled, but since it was her precious Sasuke-kun, she practically gave him heart shaped eyes and nodded eagerly.

"And finally Meeka Mastsumoto. Kakashi Hatake will be their mentor"

Author's Note
This chapter is just a tad bit smaller than usual but I didn't wanna continue only to break away to another chapter (a chapter which will probably take weeks to make, hence disrupting the flow of the story). Anyways, hope you enjoy it!

When I post the next chapter, the final pairings will be finalized! Hooray!