9| Blossoming Intermissions

|Naruto & Sasuke|

Naruto followed behind the small group that made up his team in silence. As soon as he and Sasuke began to walk out the door, Sakura attached herself to the raven haired boy as expected. Sasuke and he shared a brief look, making Naruto smirk secretly, but it also kind of made his stomach squirm slightly seeing the pink haired girl run her hands up and down his arms.

Quickly shaking his head, he trotted past them and next to Meeka. It was silent as they went up the stairs, but he cast a few glances her way every so often, wondering who the girl was. They had never really spoken in class as far as he could remember, and he definitely didn't remember if she was ever part of the girls in class that liked to pummel him for the hell of it. In fact, the way she held herself, shoulders straight but relaxed, with calm eyes and a lazy smile on her lips, it gave him the feeling that she was very self assured about herself.

"Glad to see you guys finally made it.", a voice called out, Kakashi sitting on a small bench near the edge of the building. He looked up from his novel with an unimpressed stare. It was clear that he wasn't very fond of them so far, making Naruto internally bristle. The King in him didn't like being seen in such a way, but he forced the urge to snarl in warning deep down. He had resisted the instincts this far, and he'd be damned if he revealed it before tomorrow.

"There was a lot of stairs.", Meeka piped up, shrugging slightly. She gave their sensei a smile before plopping down on the bench as well, crossing her legs.

"Plus this girl here wouldn't let go of me for the life of it.", Sasuke grumbled sourly. His sharp eyes pierced Sakura with a glare, before he yanked his arm out of her hold and taking a few steps back to stand beside Naruto. The blonde hide the small smile behind a fist as he coughed slightly.

"So far, all I hear are excuses. Speed is important for efficiency and it took you all about 3 minutes to get up here.", Kakashi rebutted, snapping his book closed finally. Standing, he quickly brushed off his ninja pants and crossed his arms, regarding the students for a moment.

Naruto didn't miss the way he paused on him for a moment, so he gave him a big dopey grin. He knew why his sensei stared at him for a moment too long, but he couldn't find it in himself to care about the man before him. Naruto was all to familiar with the silver haired man before them as they entered a silent stare down. After all, when your father was the mentor of this guy and practical father figure, you tended to be around the guy. As a a result, Kakashi was a constant person in his life, and also a constant enabler. He saw how Minato and Kushina treated him in comparison to Yasuko, saw how Yasuko treated him along with the rest of the village, and turned a blind eye to it all.

Guess when you only have one in the first place, it's easier., Naruto thought bitterly, keeping the dopey grin slapped on his face despite the dark thought. Suddenly a touch brushed across his wrist.

Flinching from the sudden touch, no matter how gentle it was, Naruto whipped to the side, resisting the urge to flick a kunai into his hand since the other were around. Seems his sudden fear and alertness was unneeded though, and as Sasuke gave him a hard glare, Naruto could see the slight concern running through those black orbs.

Ah, of course he would notice the sudden anger Naruto felt, the blonde realized. The 4 of them were more in tuned to each other then they realized sometimes.... Though he had to wonder why it affected him so much whenever it was Sasuke who was the one to see through him. Averting his own gaze, he focused on a small crack in the roof beside Sasuke's form, his heart racing with shame for his reaction and... some weird anxious feeling building in his chest

"Don't just stand there, idiot.", Sasuke said, shaking his head with narrowed eyes. When the ravenette proceeded to shove past him, knocking their shoulders together, Naruto let out a small whine of irritance. He knew they had to keep appearances, but sometimes a vague, mental conversation wasn't enough.

"Whatever, Dobe!", Naruto snapped, whipping around to take a seat as well, his persona pouting and crossing his arms in anger as he angled himself away from the raven boy he had taken a seat beside. The racing in his heart only seemed to pick up though, when Sasuke leaned back on his palms and secretly tugged on the bottom of Naruto's large oversized jacket. The action was small, and so discreet that no one would be able to notice, but it was still risky... especially when Naruto had to look further away from the group as a faint pink began to form on his scarred cheeks.

Unbeknownst to them though, they hadn't been as hidden as they had wanted.

"Let's start with introductions."

|Hinata & Kurama|

As soon as Hinata jumped out the window of the classroom, Kurama was hot on her tail as they chased after the other half of their "team". In all honesty, this was light work for the 9 tailed fox as well as the Fairy Hyuga, but they couldn't let anyone suspect anything so they kept their speed appropriate to their image, much to Kurama's dislike, as he stared at the small orange blur far in the distance.

Kurama wasn't blind to the fact that he sparked something within their fiery haired sensei. He was sure that she hadn't made the connection between them from the past due to the form he was in which he had never revealed to her, but it's hard to change a chakra signature. The most Kurama could do was downplay the amount he actually had within himself which he had been doing for year now. Technically, he was the Clan Head of the Kitsune Clan, and the only member left of it as far as anyone in the village was aware, so it allowed him to have one of the higher and more distinct Chaka reserves, but if he had known Hotaru would be his "sensei" he would've never allowed himself to stand out like this.

Gritting his teeth in anger, the dark red haired boy with slitted eyes let out a small growl of anger. If everything began to fall apart, it would be because of him and he would NOT let that happen. The 3 children he had practically raised despite taking the form of a child, have worked to hard for everything to end in flames.

"It's going to be alright, Kurama-kun."

The fox jerked, and suddenly lost his footing from the intrusion on his thoughts, though before he could fall between the two buildings they were passing, he flexed out his claws and slammed them into the cement, stopping his descent.

The soft paddings that were in front of him stopped, and he blinked when Hinata peeked over the edge of the building, shading her pale eyes with a hand. Since they were well behind the rest of their group now, he noticed that she allowed her mask to slip and plastered a small smirk on her rosy lips. "Neh, Kurama-kun it's been a while since you lost your composure like this."

Kurama scowled, his black-red eyes narrowing as he bared his teeth at her. "Like you're one to talk.", he grunted, clenching his muscles before kicking off the wall and using his arms to swing himself up and backwards onto the roof, landing in a crouched position at her feet. He stayed that position for a moment and looked up at her, using her small form to guard against the sunlight filtering behind her. In all honesty, despite her not being in her fairy form, there was still a strange glow that seemed to emanate from her, and for a small moment he wished she WAS in her true form so that he could see her opalescent wings against the sunlight behind her. Standing with a small grunt, he patted off the dirt as he said, "I seem to recall just yesterday that you dropped the dinner when I just WALKED in to ask if it was ready."

Kurama leveled his calm look at her, raisinging an eyebrow at the blush on her cheeks. When Hinata wasn't hiding behind the mask, it was actually very rare for her to blush, so the fact that it was happening now was honestly a little confusing for him. "What?", he barked, scrunching up his brow as he looked down at her slightly.

She opened and closed her mouth once before whipping around, looking at the ground. "Just don't come out of nowhere again unless you're wearing a shirt, Dumb Fox!"

Kurama blanched at the insult, and sputtered when suddenly took off again, forcing him to chase after the Fairy Heir.

AUTHOR'S NOTE//

Okay guys! Thank you everyone who gave me answers to the Questionnaire! I deleted it so that no one continues voting. This is more like a filler chapter just so I could try this style out but next chapter we're back to furthering the plot!