CH 3

Amara smiled as the last of her beautiful golden hair was twisted into curls. It wasn't often she styled her hair, but when she did she liked it very much. But she had to look her best tonight, provoking Elia to jealousy had gotten her this far.

She could not disappoint her father. Lord Tywin may act as though he was a proud father of his children. In truth, his appearance was not quite what it seemed. It was said that only Lady Joanna could make Lord Tywin smile, ever since their mother had died her father was an even colder man than before.

A sickening feeling developed in Amara's stomach at the thought. Amara forces a smile and stands, she was as ready as she'd ever been. Smoothing out the crimson fabric, Amara takes a deep breath to calm her nerves. She opens the door to a most welcome sight, Prince Rhaegar gazes at her with awe-struck eyes. Her curled-golden hair perfectly frames her face, her crimson dress accentuates her perfectly curved and yet slim figure.

"Your Grace, what a pleasant surprise." To Rhaegar her smile seemed genuine. Amara Lannister was a complicated puzzle, one moment she seemed sly and deceptive, the next she was happy and clever.

"I am here to escort you to dinner." He offers her his arm which she takes gladly after closing the door to her chambers. Rhaegar's mind drifts back to his dream, he had yet to meet the younger Lannister sister but he doubted he would need or want to. If the golden lion in his dream was meant to symbolize Amara he had to be sure of it. The pair begin making their way down the hall in comfortable silence.

"Is something bothering you, Prince Rhaegar?"

Rhaegar shakes his head and pushing his thoughts to the back of his mind. "Nothing of any importance." Amara gives him an interesting look as if she could read his mind. In truth, Amara was trying to come up with something to say.

"Even nothing can mean something. A person may not say much but their eyes tell a story. I get those looks from Cersei quite often." Rhaegar opens his mouth to respond but they reach his mother's chambers to dine.

Rhaegar motions to one of the Kingsguard standing outside the door. The older man dips his head and opens the door. Queen Rhaella sits at the table smiling, but her smile seems false when Amara turns her head she understood immediately. King Aerys Targaryen sat beside his wife with a sickening smile etched on his face. Amara's blood ran cold and forced herself to copy the queen's demeanor.

"Your Grace, I was not expecting such a delightful surprise." Amara bows, holding her breath as she feels the king's eyes rake over her. His appearance would make any woman a court shudder with fear, long unkempt silver locks, and nails that had grown into talons.

"I was eager to see the girl your father was so eager to hide. I've met your sister a pesky little thing, your father with teats. You on the other hand are very much your mother's girl." He chuckles lowly. Rhaegar stands stiffly behind her, his eyes never leaving his father, King Aerys sensed this and looked at his son and heir with disdain.

"Sit down boy I'm not here for you!" Amara takes Rhaegar's hand in hers and draws his attention. Her eyes were telling him to simply play along, Amara knew all too well what an angry and mad man would be capable of. Lord Tywin was a man to hide his feelings but Amara knew what it was like to at the receiving end of his anger.

Even the seemingly perfect daughter was not without her faults.

Amara moved to the chair next to King Aerys, but Rhaegar took her hand and guided her to the chair across from his mother. She knew that he would rather keep her as far away from his father as he possibly could. Amara took a deep breath preparing herself, what had seemed like a calm evening winning over the queen had become an evening of survival.