CH 15

News of Amara's collapse spread like wildfire throughout the tourney grounds. Many speculated as to what the cause was though many already knew. Her husband had humiliated her in front of the whole of the Seven Kingdoms.

It wasn't long before another cause for the collapse was announced, the princess was pregnant with her sixth child. The excitement was muted by much sympathy the princess had gained from both nobles and smallfolk. Though she was a Lannister, she spent a great deal of time sending out money and food to the smallfolk too poor to afford it. She had earned the love and respect of the nobles by hosting many conversations ranging from philosophy to the arts and gossip.

Amara had recovered slowly from her collapse but choosing to take both herself and her children back to Dragonstone. Or at the very least that had been the plan, King Aerys had insisted Amara and her children stay within the safe walls of the Red Keep. Rhaegar had followed after them days later with the rest of their things.

It needed little thinking as to why the king would want his son and his family within the walls of Red Keep. His son had humiliated the daughter of one of the most powerful lords in the kingdom, it was easy to see he feared retribution. Amara was too tired and embarrassed to argue. All she wanted to do was hide away and bury her head in the sand. The once-proud daughter of the mighty Tywin Lannister had been reduced to a shell. She had taken to staring out the window thinking to herself what she had done wrong. Rhaegar had sworn to be hers and hers alone, but when she closed her eyes all she could see was the moment all the smiles died.

"Are you hoping for absolution?" Her tired and sad voice asked her husband as he knelt before her window seat. Her eyes searched his for any sign of remorse and found pathetic specks of regret.

He opened his mouth but she quickly shut him down. "You won't be getting it, especially not from me."

"Amara please..."

"Do you love her?" Rhaegar seemed taken aback by the question. He had pledged his love to her of course, and he loved her still after all she had given him five children and soon six. But was he still in love with her?

Rhaegar wanted to say yes, he wanted to kiss her lips and have her know he was in love with her.

But what had fueled his desire for her all those years ago seemed to have cooled. Amara's was still witty, clever, and charming however, he had missed the fight he had once seen in her. Her duty to her family and to her children replaced a great deal of the heat that had warmed the first two years of their lives together. When Lyanna Stark joined them something had changed within the trio. While Amara had a sharp tongue she knew when to hold it, but Lyanna spoke her mind as loud and as often as she wanted. He had seen a fire within her that rivaled his own, and it drew the pair together. He hated himself for thinking in such a way, he knew she still loved him and loved him deeply, things had changed between them. Perhaps she was right all those years ago, they had waited too long to act.

"I love you."

"But are you in love with me?"

"Yes." He answered without hesitation.

But they both knew it was a lie....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Early 282 A.C Kings Landing)

The birth of Prince Daegon Targaryen once again spurred the kingdom to celebrate the birth of another Targaryen princeling. Many did not know of Amara's private pain and yet they still had hope for Rhaegar on the Iron Throne. Although a great deal of his biggest champions faltered after the Tourney at Harrenhal. A Targaryen who so easily shamed his wife was an awfully familiar tune. But the love of the kingdom was not enough to preserve the marriage she had fought so hard to gain.

But Amara no longer cared what her husband did or where he went or so she claimed. In truth, despite the pain, he had caused and his repeated claims of love, she still loved him with every fiber of her being. Sad as it was, the pair had all but separated, Amara ached as the hours ticked by without so much as a glimpse of him. They still dined together as a family, exchanging longing looks across the dining table.

Their son had united them for a time but she could tell every time he gazed out the window he was thinking of her. The last time she had visited the nursery she had practically dismissed him. Each time Amara gazed out the window she saw seven kingdoms fractured and near their breaking point.

All it would take was a single spark of dragon's fire

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ashara are you sure? You've always been so careful, I didn't think you could be so careless." Though her words had seemed sharp, they were full of concern. Ashara Dayne, one of the most beautiful and clever women in the Seven Kingdoms had fallen pregnant.

She had held on to her secret for several months. Ashara had felt so ashamed to learn that her feelings had led her to be so careless.

The name of her weakness? Eddard Stark, second son to the Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North.

Though she had put on her best face the tears slipped from her eyes down her cheeks. Amara's heart ached for her friend, the only faithful and true friend that remained to her. Catelyn had long since left for home to wed Brandon Stark. When Amara had collapsed, she had tried to stay as long as she could. But eventually, Amara was forced to send her home, a tearful goodbye and a promise to visit was a memory.

Amara had promised Ashara that she would find a proper lord for her. But Ashara had simply shaken her head and told Amara that she was happy in her service. That had been months ago, it made perfect sense now. She was afraid if a husband discovered her condition, and more importantly realized it wasn't his it could be dangerous.

"I'm not disappointed Ashara, I'm worried for you. The world will be a cold place to your child should you choose to keep it." Amara took her friend's hand in hers. Ashara meant the world to her, whatever the outcome was she would see to it the child was cared for and well-loved.

Ashara's smile fills with sadness and relief as she wipes a stray tear from her eye.

"Thank you..." Amara offered her own sad smile.

"Think nothing of it. You are one of my oldest and dearest friends, I will protect us." Ashara opened her mouth as if to ask her what she meant. But a knock at the door interrupts the conversation, neither was expecting a visitor and both women were equally confused as to who could be at the door.

"Enter!" She called out, the door opened to reveal a rather nervous and timid-looking serving girl.

"May I come in Princess? It's rather urgent..." Amara nodded and she quickly shuffled in and closed the door behind her.

"What is it." Her nervousness stirs up a great bit of confusion and worry. Had something happened to the King? Queen Rhaella? Her husband?

The serving girl hesitates as if she were delivering fatal news. The more seconds passed the more anxious and irritated she became. "Spite it out already girl!"

"I am so sorry Princess...Prince Rhaegar has disappeared... as has Lady Lyanna Stark.." Her words feel as though someone had taken a mace and swung it, hitting Amara in the stomach and knocking the wind from her; so much so that she clutched her stomach doubling over. Ashara caught her as she began to sway, Amara shook her head and prayed it was a terrible nightmare.

"Where is he now?" Ashara asked the girl, her voice near a shout as she helped her to sit down.

The girl looked as though she were a dear caught in a trap. "No one knows Princess, last anyone saw him he was said to be riding South."

Amara and Ashara exchanged fearful glances each woman knowing what would happen.

They were going to war... and it was all Rhaegar Targaryen's fault.

WRITTEN: January 1, 2018

EDITED: August 3, 2021