CH 6

"I can't believe the king actually intends to wed you to the crown prince." Lysander sighs as he reaches for another lemon cake. Amara looks out onto the waters of Blackwater Bay and smiles, her father had been pleased to hear the news. But both knew the betrothal was fragile, King Aerys could change his mind at a moment's notice.

"Nothing is settled yet Lysander, the King intends to wait to announce the betrothal until he finds a suitable replacement for Princess Elia." Lysander nods quietly. Amara smiles, she knew the look upon her twin's face, it was the same look he had when the Martell's first arrived and he had seen Elia Martell for the first time.

They had only been children when they had come to call. Lady Johanna and the Princess of Dorne had served together in Kings Landing in their youth. It was at times like those Amara missed her mother dearly, but both her father and she had known why they had come. Her father had begun looking for a suitable husband even before she was of the proper age to wed.

The Princess of Dorne had wished to wed Elia to Lysander but Lord Tywin had scoffed at the idea. Offering instead to wed Princess Elia to his youngest son Tyrion, it was an insult to everyone. Tywin had sought to make Amara a queen, Cersei the wife of a wealthy lord, Lysander the most capable Lord of the Rock after himself, and Jaime a knight.

Tyrion had been left out of those plans, Amara had always known her father had wished her youngest brother dead from the moment of his birth.

"Of course, the king is still looking for a bride for Princess Elia. A recommendation from me might help..." She trailed off teasingly as her brother's head turned in her direction. Both of them were well aware their father would be less than pleased with the match. But if the order were to come from the king himself their father couldn't refuse. Amara was determined to see her brother married to a woman he could love and respect.

"Father would kill you if you went against his wishes." Lysander gave her a look of warning. Inside, however, a part of him hoped that his sister might fulfill this suggestion. He could still recall the first time he laid eyes on Elia Martell. She was delicate and beautiful, Lysander was pleased to see the years had been kind to her. But he had been raised to fear and respect his father, Amara going against him could reflect poorly on him as well.

The last thing he wanted was to bring dishonor and shame upon himself or his house, he'd grown up hearing the stories of his grandfather.

"That's just it dear brother, father cannot blame me if he does not suspect me. He will simply believe that the king wishes to rid himself of a now unwanted girl. Lysander leans back in his hair and runs a hand through his golden curls, his sister had a point. No doubt Elia would blame his family for being displaced as Rhaegar's wife, she would need to be convinced before she accepted his proposal.

"She'll blame our family for what has happened to her. She might say no." Amara nods, even if she had won the princess over in the past there was no doubt that by now she had heard the news.

"I'll speak with her." Lysander shakes his head. He had his doubts the princess wouldn't try and scratch his sister's eyes out if she felt so inclined.

"I doubt she wishes to see you right now Amara. I'll speak with her. After all, I would be the one proposing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Princess Elia does not wish to have visitors at this time, My Lord." Lady Ashara Dayne frowns as she gazes upon Lysander's face.

"I understand My Lady I was just hoping for a moment with her." Lysander stood tall, though inside his stomach was in knots. His sister was always keen to do what their father told her, both she and Cersei were afraid to disappoint him. In truth, he was as well but he was his father's heir and would be an important man someday if he could prove himself.