Chapter Ten: Conflict

The group gathered around to discuss the Jim situation, and honestly nobody knew exactly what to do. Tensions were running high between the group, nobody felt safe anymore, and now that one of our own had been bitten, it seemed as if any gel that held the group together was falling apart piece by piece.

"I say we put a pick axe in his head along with the dead girl and be done with it," Daryl spat out angrily.

"Is that what you would want if it were you?" Shane asked shaking his head.

"Yeah," Daryl stated, "And I'd thank ya while ya did it!"

"I hate to say it... and I never thought I would... but maybe Daryl's right," Dale said shaking his head as he didn't believe what was coming out of his mouth.

"Jim's not a monster Dale," Rick argued, "Nor some rabid dog."

"I'm not sayin that!" Dale exclaimed defensively before Rick continued to speak over him.

"We go that far down the road when do we draw the line?!" He asked.

"The lines pretty clear zero tolerance for walkers!" Daryl exclaimed, "Or them to be."

"What if we can get him help? I heard the CDC was working on a cure."

"I heard that to," Shane said, "But heard a lot of things before the world went to hell."

"Like how Atlanta was supposed to be a safe haven yet they bombed the shit out of it," I stated grimly.

"See the kid gets it," Shane said nodding in my direction.

"Well it's true if the CDC is up and running," Rick said hopefully.
"That is a stretch right there," Shane stated.
"Why? Rick asked, " If there's any government left and structure at all, they would protect the CDC at all cost wouldn't they, I think it's our best shot! Shelter, protection, rescue."

"I know you want those things, now I want them too, but if they exist Rick, they're and the army base. Fort Benign!" Shane argued.

"That's one hundred miles in the opposite direction," Lori said disapprovingly.

"That is right, but it's also one hundred miles away from the hot zone! Now listen if it's there it'll be heavily guarded by the military! We'll be safe there."

"Am I the only one that's seen the military units dead in Atlanta?" I asked, "Hell Rick was stuck in a fucking tank! The military can't stop this nor protect any of us from a walker hoard!" I interjected, "A hundred miles is way to much gas! If we even make it that far and the forts not even there anymore we would be stranded once again without anything to help us with. I agree with Rick the CDC is our best choice."

"And Jim's only chance," Rick added on.

"Y'all go looking for aspirin, and do what you need to do," Daryl said his voice venomous as he turned around and started to rush Jim while stating, "Someone has to have the balls to take care of this damn problem!"

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as Rick rushed behind Daryl, pulling his pistol out and pointing it to his head causing Daryl to freeze.

"We don't kill the living!" Rick growled.

Daryl turned towards Rick shaking his head angrily, "Funny coming from a man that just but a gun to my head."