Sandy and the Paper

The next morning, Sophia woke up and wondered downstairs. She could hear different voices speaking.
One of which she didn't recognize.
"Here she is now," JJ said looking up at Sophia, who was standing in the doorway to the kitchen.
Jennifer was standing next to an older blonde women. The woman turned around and smiled at the girl. Instantly, Sophia realized it was JJ's mother.
"Hi," the kid said quietly and walked over to Jennifer. JJ opened up her arms and welcomed Sophia in them warmly.
"How did you sleep?" she asked.
"Good. I didn't hear you leave," Sophia said and pulled back.
"I stayed until you were in a deep sleep," Jennifer told her and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.
Sophia let go of JJ and started to get a bowl of cereal.
JJ looked over and saw her mother eying Sophia. She gave the woman a small nod, encouraging her to talk to the child.
"So, JJ tells me you're in seventh grade," Sandy Jareau said and took a seat next to the girl.
Sophia nodded but didn't look up.
Sandy looked over at her daughter then back down to Sophia.
"Do you like school?" the woman tried again.
"I guess," Sophia said, again avoiding eye contact.
"Sophia," JJ said lowly.
The kid's eyes moved up to meet Sandy's.
"I heard you like to read," the woman said getting a book out from her bag. She handed it to the girl.
Sophia read the title and raised an eyebrow.
"To Kill a Mockingbird," she whispered to herself.
"I was hoping you hadn't already read it," Sandy explained.
"I started to read it when I was ten, but never got to finish it because I changed foster homes. I haven't seen it since," Sophia explained and opened the book.
She remembered the page where she left off and started reading.
"I'm glad you like it," Sandy said with a smile.
"Thank you," Sophia said sincerely.
"Anytime," Sandy replied.

Just then, there was the sound of someone running down the stairs. Henry's face came into view and he ran right into his grandmother's arms for a hug.
"Grandma!" he yelled as he hugged her.
"How's my favorite Henry doing today?" she asked back with equal enthusiasm.
"Great," the boy replied.
Then Will entered with Michael in his arms. The little one seemed to have just woken up.
"Good morning," Will said to everyone with a big smile.
He noticed Sophia reading, and asked her what book it was.
"To Kill a Mockingbird," Sophia told him.
"Oh," Will said with a nod and a smile.

Later that day, Sandy took the family out to lunch and then to see a play. It was The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, a musical version. Everyone loved it and JJ couldn't believe the smile they got from Sophia during the show. The kid thought it was amazing.

That night when Sandy had to leave, Sophia gave her a nice hug goodbye and thanked her for the fun day.
"I'm glad you liked it." the older blonde said and kissed the child's head.
"I loved it," Sophia corrected her.
The grandmother grinned and continued to say goodbye to the rest of the family ending with JJ.
"Thanks for everything," Jennifer said into her mother's ear.
"Anytime, dear."
Sandy smiled and started to leave the house. JJ followed her out and to her car.
"Mom?"
Sandy looked up.
"So Sophia-"
"Is going to be just fine here," Sandy finished her sentence and smiled.
"I just hope I did the right thing," JJ sighed.
"You did. I see the way she looks at you," Sandy told her.
"What do you mean?"
"She sees you as the mother she never got to have and she really looks up to you."
"She does?" JJ questioned.
Sandy nodded and gave her daughter one more hug before getting into her car.
"Drive safe, I love you," JJ called.
Sandy honked her horn a little and waved her hand.
JJ just smiled to herself and went back into the house.

The rest of the weekend went by smoothly and soon Monday was back. JJ got a case and was gone until Wednesday. When she got home, she found Sophia reading with Henry cuddled up on the couch. His head leaning on her and he was drifting off to sleep.
"Hey," JJ said softly so she wouldn't disturb her boy, but to make her presence known.
"JJ," the girl said excitedly and her eyes literally lit up.
Jennifer walked over and asked,
"Whatcha reading?"
"Boxcar children, they were always my favorite," Sophia told her.
"Why don't I bring him upstairs and you go get ready for bed. I'll be in soon," she said with a smile.
Sophia nodded and headed up.

Jennifer knocked on Sophia's door and found the girl just getting into bed. She walked over to sit on the edge.
"How was school?" she asked.
"Good. How was the case? Did you get the guy?"
"Yeah," JJ said and smiled down at the innocent little girl.
"Why don't you ever talk about the cases?"
"Because you couldn't even imagine the things humans do to each other and I don't want to open you guys up to that dark world just yet," the blonde explained.
"What if I get kidnapped or something?" Sophia asked.
JJ tiled her head.
"Sweetheart, nothing's going to happen to you-"
"But what if something bad happens? I want to be prepared."
"I don't understand what your asking me," JJ said.
"Can I take karate or self defense?" Sophia asked.
"Do you feel unsafe here?"
"Is not that I feel unsafe. I would just feel more safe being prepared," the kid tried to explain.
JJ thought for a second then said,
"Why not? I'll enroll you in a karate class tomorrow."
Sophia smiled and thanked her.
"I want you to know that you are safe here. As long as you're here, nothing bad is going to happen to you."
"Promise?" Sophia asked.
"I promise," JJ said and bent down to kiss her head.
"Goodnight Sophia," JJ said and got up to go.
"Goodnight JJ," the brunette replied.
Then she rolled over and fell right asleep.

The next day her paper on her parents were due and after she handed it in and the teacher read it, JJ got a call.
The team was hanging around Reid's desk watching him attempt to do physics magic tricks.
Suddenly, JJ's phone started ringing.
She looked at the caller ID.
"It's the school," she said and looked up at her team.
"Henry's?" Reid asked.
"No, Sophia's," she said and walked away to answer the phone.

Fifteen minutes later, JJ had a copy of Sophia's paper on her screen and she was reading it. Morgan, Garcia and Reid were reading it too.
Sophia's paper started with how her mother left her when she was two and her whole journey to now. Her last paragraph was on JJ and the team, and she even wrote that she loved them and they were the closest thing to a family she's ever had.

Later that night after dinner, JJ caught Sophia before she went up to her room.
"Hey, I wanted to talk to you about something."
"Okay," Sophia said a bit nervously.
"Your teacher called today."
"About what?"
JJ took a deep breath.
"I read your paper on the impact your parents had on your life," she told the brunette.
"You did?" Sophia asked.
The blonde nodded.
"I didn't mean to-"
"I loved it, and your teacher said you got a one hundred on it. It was so well written sweetheart," JJ interrupted her.
Sophia leaned forward into JJ's arms.
"Thank you," she whispered.
"Hey Soph," JJ said softly.
The child looked up.
"I love you too," she said and smiled.