12

Demi

It's been a week since I last saw Wilmer. After his breakdown, I managed to get him in bed to sleep. I got my stuff together and left, not wanting to be there when he woke up. I hadn't thought much about how this was hurting him. I hadn't even taken account his mental state in all of this. I wasn't excusing his behavior, but the other night gave me a new perspective on Wilmer. He really did have nothing now. The military and his marriage were his life, all he really cared about. Now I had added our baby to the mix, but he could no longer fight overseas, and I had ended any further relationship between us, and had taken away his child.

Fourth of July came around, but it didn't feel the same anymore. On the rare occasion Wilmer was home on this holiday we would pack up and go down to Texas to spend it with my parents at their annual block party barbecue. Instead, I was sitting at Marissa's friend's house, surrounded by people too-drunk to walk straight let alone light off fireworks. Just as the sun started to set and the familiar boom of fireworks filled the air, my phone began to ring, Wilmer's name coming up on the caller ID.

"Hello?" I said into the phone, hurrying inside to get away from the noise. There was no sound on the other end, just shuffling. "Wilmer? Hello?"

"Demi?" Worry washed over me as Wilmer's voice finally came through. It was broken and rough, and it sounded like he had been crying.

"What's wrong?" Again he didn't answer. "Baby?"

"I need you." He cut off again, and the sound of him sobbing into the phone made my heart sink. "The fireworks... I can't stop the flashbacks."

I closed my eyes and inhaled slowly. "I'll be there. I'm coming now, okay? I'll be there soon."

"Okay." He sounded like a little kid again, broken and confused. "Okay."

"Okay, I'm leaving now."

"Okay."

I didn't want to hang up, in fear he would do something, but I had to. I hurried outside to where Marissa was sitting on some guy's lap, a corona hanging loosely from both of their hands.

"What's wrong?" She asked immediately, squinting to look at my face.

"I have to go." I explained quickly. "Wilmer... the fireworks... it's triggering something. He doesn't have anyone else and I'm the only one that knows what to do."

"Okay." She said quickly, standing up. "Take my car, it's faster. I'll just take an Uber home." I nodded and took her keys, turning around to leave. "And Demi...." She grabbed my arm to force me to look at her. "Be careful."

I must've broken dozens of traffic laws on the drive to Pennsylvania. Marissa's car had no trouble with my lead foot on the gas pedal, but I got plenty of middle fingers as I raced towards the house. I got there within the hour, and burst into the house, looking for him frantically.

"Wilmer? Where are you?"

I ran into the bedroom and stopped when I heard the crying, it was like a wounded animal. I slowly opened the closet door and sunk to my knees when I saw him curled up in a fetal position in just his boxers, his hands over his ears, tears streaming down his face.

"Wilmer." I said softly, and put my hand on his leg. His eyes flew open and we stared at each other for a moment. I crawled closer and he reached for me, pulling me close to him. I wrapped my arms around him, holding him against me as he cried. "Come on." I murmured, tugging on him lightly. "Come on Wilmer, don't lay on the floor."

Wilmer still held onto me as I helped him to his feet, bringing him to the bed so we could lay down. He laid practically on top of me, his head on my chest with his arms wrapped around me so tight it was like I was his lifeline. The fireworks boomed, and Wilmer began to shake, his eyes squeezing shut.