21

Demi 

Every beep that came from Wilmer's heart rate monitor was a saving grace. 

He was supposed to wake up hours ago, it was now nightfall after they had lowered he sedation. Thankfully, my mom saw I was about to break, and offered to bring Sobieda and Balbino to the cafeteria to get coffee and something to eat. Once they filed out, I let my head drop into my hands with a defeated groan. 

Despite my best efforts, I had allowed a balloon of hope to fill in my stomach that  Wilmer was going to be fine, and everything was going to be okay again. The despair was crushing- especially with the weight of the new life in my stomach. I needed with Wilmer like I needed air, no matter how unhealthy it was to say. The only way I could stand the long months and cold nights of Wilmer being deployed was to lie there and picture how it would be once he finally got out, when we could finally start our lives together, this was never part of the plan. 

A groan made my head snap up, and I saw Wilmer's head roll to the side. I got up slowly, as if any noise could send him back over the edge of consciousness. His eyebrows twitched and I sank down onto the edge of his bed. 

"Wilmer?" My voice was so soft, I didn't know if he would even be able to hear me. 

His face twitched again and his lips parted a bit, then- "Demi?" 

I silently thanked God and leaned down and pressed my lips to his forehead. "It's me, baby. I'm right here." 

"It hurts." He practically whimpered, and I reached over to hit the nurse button on the wall. 

"I know it does, I know. You got hurt, baby." I put my hands on his cheeks. "Look at me." He squeezed his eyes shut then they fluttered open and the resolution in me finally broke so my own eyes filled with tears. "You got hurt," I whispered, and stroked my thumb over his cheek, "they needed to operate on you. You're lucky to be alive." 

"What happened?" 

I swallowed hard but thankfully the nurse came in to save me from answering his question. She gasped when she saw Wilmer's eyes open and she smiled widely at me. "I'll get the doctors." 

"He's in a lot of pain." I said to her, although I didn't take my eyes off of Wilmer. "Please have them give him something." 

"I'll let them know." 

She left, and I took a deep breath. "Do you remember anything?" 

"We were at my parent's." He mumbled, and his eyes slipped closed again. "I... Why can't I remember?" 

"Sergeant Valderrama?" Now the crowd of doctors were here with Dr. Connors leading them, and I quickly stood up so they could crowd around him. When I moved out of the way though he reached out for my hand and I quickly intertwined our fingers and stepped closer to him. "How are you feeling?" 

"My head hurts a lot." Wilmer could speak barely louder than a whisper and one of the nurses handed him a cup of water. "I'd ask if I got shot, but that happened before and this feels even worse." 

I dug my teeth into my bottom lip- I wasn't in the mood for humor, but some of the other doctors cracked a smile. 

"I do apologize for that. You came to us in quite a state. Do you remember anything?" 

"No." He whispered, and I squeezed his hand. 

"You experienced an episode of your Post Traumatic Stress diagnosis triggered by Fireworks on the Fourth of July-" The doctor trailed off when Wilmer jerked his head to me, then winced but his eyes dropped to my stomach and his body relaxed.