22

Demi

Wilmer was bedridden in the hospital and every night I waited until the nurses checked on him one last time at midnight, then I crawled into his bed and fell asleep to Wilmer tracing slow circles on my back. Each time I was woken up by the night nurse two hours later so they could check Wilmer's vitals.

Tonight, the 4am nurse was a regular, who always disapproved of me sleeping on the bed, and would make me get up so she could perform her evaluation, then make a comment about how essential it was he not move around too much before she walked out. This time I woke up when the door opened, so she didn't have to shake me awake to get off the bed. Instead, I rolled over and backed up to the wall so she could have space to take his vitals. Wilmer groggily complied with her requests, then she shot me a look before she walked out with her nose in the air.

"It's cold without you," Wilmer murmured, and turned his head over to look at me, "come back."

I smiled and lifted the blanket so I could climb in again, then I pushed my face into his chest. "I'm so glad you're okay, I thought I would never have this again."

"I'm so sorry I put you through all of this Demi, I never imagined it would get that bad."

"It's okay," I wrapped his hand in mine and brought it up so I could kiss his still-bruised knuckles, "you're alive, and you can promise me it'll never happen again by actually working on your diagnosis."

"I will," Wilmer touched his forehead against mine and I closed my eyes, "whatever it takes, Demi."

"I love you so much," I whispered, and tried to swallow the lump in my throat, "I don't know what I would've done if... if-"

"You don't need to think about it, I'm okay, I promise." He held my head against his chest and his lips brushed my hair. "I'm right here, baby."

"You can't leave me again." I fisted his t-shirt in my hand and looked up into his eyes. "Okay? Not for anything, or anyone."

Wilmer stared back at me, then nodded his head. "No more leaving, I promise."

"Good." I craned my neck to kiss him deeply, then I smiled and pulled away when I heard his heart rate monitor quicken. "Nurse Ratchet will make me sleep on the couch if she thinks I'm taking away from your eight hours of beauty sleep."

"You'll just climb back in once she leaves, just like the first night." Wilmer traced my jawline with his fingertip then lifted my chin so he could kiss me again, "I can't wait until we're not in his hospital, and I don't have a hole in my head."

"You're not going to be able to do any strenuous activities for a while," I reminded him softly, when I felt his hands slide down my back.

"I just want to be able to kiss you without some machine blowing up my spot about how it makes me feel."

I grinned and rested my cheek on his shoulder, "if it helps, I'm worse than you." As if on cue, Wilmer's thumbs brushed over the gap of skin between my shirt and my sweatpants, and I shivered when he brought one of his hands under the fabric of my tank top. "You're going to get us in trouble, Valderrama."

"I just had brain surgery, isn't there a grace period for bad judgements?"

"Wait until the next nurse shift, I think this one is just waiting to throw me out of the hospital." 

Wilmer hummed and brought his mouth to mine again, but ignored the sound of his heart rate rising. I smiled against his lips and happily kissed him back until he leaned away from me. "I love you, Demi."

"I love you too." I breathed, and my lips still brushed his as I spoke from how close he was. "I love you more than anything, Wilmer."

~*~