36

November 14, 2016.

Dear Wyatt,

WYATT!!!

I don't even know what to say. I don't even know what to do.

Today Matt and I were laughing together as we were eating brunch at our favorite restaurant when out of nowhere he blurted, "I love you."

I immediately froze. I just gaped as I stared at him. I hadn't heard those words in so long. I had just barely convinced myself that I was overreacting and that friends were aloud to say they loved each other without it meaning anything else when his eyes widened as his face turned bright red. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I didn't mean to say it like that." He looked down and stirred the ice in his mug with his straw. "You don't have to say anything back. I know that you're not looking for anything romantic after everything that happened."

I was too shocked to know what to say, so I didn't say anything. Luckily for me, we were already finishing up with our food when he dropped the three big words, so my escape wasn't that far away. We each paid for our food in silence. Outside the restaurant, I said a hasty goodbye before turning to walk towards my dorm. His dorm was the opposite way, something that we had always bemoaned, but seemed like a small piece of mercy to me then. I needed space away from him to clear up the thoughts bouncing around my brain.

He grabbed my arm before I could go too far. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make it weird. Nothing has to change between us," he said.

"It's okay. It's not weird," I told him. I didn't bother to assure him that nothing had changed, because it felt like something had.

"Then you'll still run with me tomorrow?" he asked. I slowly nodded, and slipped my arm out of his hold before walking away again.

And now I'm here at my dorm, the notebook of letters to you that I haven't touched in months in my hand. I don't know where else to turn to sort out all of these questions I have floating around my mind.

Matt loves me.

Matt loves me.

Do I love Matt? I certainly love him as a friend, but are my feelings for him anything more than that?

I'm not sure.

Could I ever love Matt? In my whole life, the only person I've ever been closer to than Matt is you. He gets me, and I get him. When I'm with him, I'm just happier. He's a good listener, and he helps me forget all the reasons I'm not okay.

I think I know deep down that loving him might be a possibility in my future, and that's a scary thought. It's one thing to try to move on from you in the general sense, but loving someone new? That means having to remove the part of my heart that still loves you.

I don't know if I'm quite ready for that, but what if I'm already headed in that direction, that direction of being in love again? Does that make me a bad person?

How did things get so complicated so quick?

Savannah

A/N: Big chapter!!!! What do you guys think? Please drop me a comment and let me know. Please also vote and follow if you enjoyed!! I hope you did.

The end of this short story is approaching quick; only a handful of letters left! That's kind of a crazy thought.