chapter 3

a

a.n can we all take a moment of silence to realise this man's beauty

    "Woah, Woah Opal, what's wrong?" Trent asked worriedly as he held Gabrielle in his hands. Opal felt more tears spring in her eyes at Trent's question, her heart accelerating as she sobbed uncontrollably onto the floor, her back sliding against her apartment door. In an instant, Trent placed Gabrielle on the floor slowly and then rushed over to his friend, his heart aching to see her so sad and gathered her up in his arms and settled her on the couch.

   "Opal, come on, you have to talk," he cooed softly as he held her in his arms, rubbing her back in a soothing manner, holding her tightly. With tears in her eyes, memories of her past flashed, terrible, horrible scenes took her back to where she was today. Opal gulped, remembering the feeling of his fists plummeting into her stomach, his harsh kisses attacking her neck in possession and dirty hands running over her stomach. She shook her head, scared that if she were to talk, she would bring herself into a panic attack.

  Little Gabrielle slowly crawled her way to her mother and began to stand up, using her mother's legs as support and placed her tiny head on her knees, cooing softly. Instantly, Opal smelt something so delicious that it crawled into her senses. Her mind faded back to the memory of seeing a beautiful man that stood in front of her, eyes filled with hope before she crushed them and ran away, fear laced in her veins at the smell. Her stomach twisted in a way she did not approve and more tears began to spill.

   "Goddess Opal, what's wrong?" Trent asked again, this time with more urgency as he lifted Gabrielle off the floor and onto Opal's lap. The scent invaded Opal's senses and in a matter of seconds, slightly pushed her little girl away and onto Trent's lap. Guilt washed over her as her daughter began to crawl back towards her, whining softly at her mother's rejection. Trent took the scene in front of him, slightly scared and much worried for his friend who seemed to reject the only thing that brought her comfort.

    "You're scaring me, Opal," he whispered softly and held the tiny child close to him who protested in his arms. Ashamed, Opal looked away, wiping her tear-stained cheeks with her sleeve and shook her head once more, trying to stop the invading memories and the fearful scene of meeting the second person she feared.

   "I can't," she mumbled softly, Citrine howling as she not only begged for the man from the door but also, her fear. She too had been scarred by the man in their past, although she begged for her mate, she also wished he'd disappear. Opal began to take deep breaths, trying to regulate her breathing to prevent any panic attacks that demanded to surface as images of her tormentor flooded her mind.

   "Opal, please, it will be better if you just let it out," Trent asked again, this time, taking Opal's handed into his and brushed his thumb across it, trying to relieve her of any stress that weighed heavy on her shoulders. Or, at least, create a distraction. With a shaky breath, heart hammering in her chest and tears leaving her eyes, she nodded slowly.