chapter 7

a.n *breaths heavily*  oh my goddess

ALPHA JAMES' POV

"She's afraid of me David, I-I don't understand why, did I do something wrong?" the young Alpha spoke glumly, his heart ached sorely in his chest as he slouched on David's couch in the middle of the night. Warrior David watched his Alpha drink a glass of alcohol as James slowly pitied himself for something he did not commit. David rubbed his hands together, tongue ran over his lips and his eyes looked worriedly at the depressed man in front of him.

"You haven't done anything Alpha, it is probably something that has happened in her past," he comforted, although, he did not understand Opal fully, he could sense something had happened that scarred her for life. He heard a deep sigh resonate in the corner of the dark room, deep in thought, James looked down at his glass and then back at his loyal warrior and gave a soft smile.

"The question is, what, I want her to trust me," James replied sulkily, trying to find sense of what was happening to his mate. The mate that he wanted so dearly was just in front of him, yet so far from his grasp. He just wanted to hold her, touch her and keep her company, but, she was afraid of him and he didn't know what hurt more.

"Alpha James, trust takes time to develop, you will need to give her some time," David explained softly.

"I know, I know, but is hard! I have wanted my mate for so long and now she is right here, in front of me, but she isn't here, mentally," he replied gloomily as he took another deep chug of his alcoholic drink, the beverage burned as it slid down his throat and he shivered at the feeling. Although werewolves did not get drunk easily, the bitter taste somehow managed to numb him.

"Alpha, these things take time, you've found her and that's what you should be happy about," the warrior addressed, becoming cautious as his Alpha drank away his misery.

"Yes, I know, but that male is frustrating me beyond words, I understand he is her friend, but I can't help to see that there may be something more," the sad Alpha grumbled, a dark look swept across his face at the thought of Trent laying his hands on what was his. He felt the feeling of jealousy raging inside of him and the grip on his drink hardened.

"Do you know how it makes me feel seeing her run to him when she needs help? Do you know how it feels when I want to be the one she seeks comfort from? All I want is for her to depend on me, but all she goes for is that other male!" he hissed out, biting his lip as his posture turned rigid. His emotions taking a toll on him as his wolf growled at the thought as well.

Warrior David stood up in alarm, his eyes eyeing the angry wolf in front of him as his body prepared him for an unprecedented attack from a jealous Alpha. He didn't say anything, but instead, allowed the Alpha to rant about his emotions.

"Do you know how it feels when your mate has a daughter without you? Has had children even though there was a mate waiting for her? Do you know how it feels every time you look at her daughter and feel saddened that your mate started a life without you? Do you understand how crazy it makes me feel when my own mate didn't even wait for me?" he spoke with passion, but broke in the end as tears stung his eyes and the feeling of disappointment and grief settled within him.

David's heart clenched at the sight of his Alpha and gave him a small smile.

"You don't know the full story, best make sure you have an open mind when she does explain to you instead of accusing her," he consoled him, trying to shed some light on the situation that the wolf in front of him was faced with.

"I-I can't help but feel this way David, ever since Julia died, I've been needing a mate, my wolf craves for it, he craves for her. Yet, she is out of his grasp, standing right in front of him, but untouchable," James whispered and felt the liquid burn his throat as he held the glass bottle up. David winced at the sight, but kept cool as he sat back down on the couch with a huff and with no words said, watched his Alpha be consumed with his thoughts.

-

He woke up slightly dazed, the sunlight peaked through his bedroom windows as he sat upright and rubbed his eyes out of tiredness. He did not feel hungover, but rather as if something heavy weighed on his shoulders and heart felt hefty in his chest. He could hear the cries of a small child echo through his pack and a soothing voice calling out for it, the voice was filled with warmth and he instantly knew who it was

He had given his mate the house next to his one, he knew she would not have been comfortable living under the same roof and had arranged the house for her. He smiled and felt slightly comforted by hearing her voice, but once Trent's voice made its way to the mix, he instantly scowled and ripped the overs off of him. He felt the familiar emotions come back as his wolf, already annoyed, growled lowly in his mind. But, James did not show his true emotions and kept a passive face. He walked slowly to the bathroom and took a quick shower.

Afterwards, the young Alpha went outside and walked towards the house that his mate resided in. With a quick beating heart, he slowly knocked on the door and held his breath whilst he prayed to the Goddess to help his worries. A high-pitched squeal echoed through the door, James instantly recognised it as Gabrielle's, before he knew it, he was greeted by the flustered mother and a bubbly little tot in her arms.

He felt pain strike though his heart as Opal's happy expression turned slightly sadder, almost fear like as he stood on her doorway. Trent followed suit and gave the Alpha a soft nod.

"May I come in?" James asked her slowly, his hands playing on his thighs as he awaited her response. A flash of emotion passed quickly through Opal's eyes, a look of uncertainty as she gave a curt nod. Gabrielle, clueless of what was happening around her, reached out to the male wolf, arms spread out and awaited his affection. With a small gulp and shaky arms, he retrieved the little girl with his mother's permission.

He held the tot close, but not too close that was uncomfortable for him and gave Opal a small smile, although it did not reach his eyes.

"Have you eaten breakfast?" James asked quietly as Gabrielle sighed in content, her head resting on the right shoulder. Opal felt her heart melt at the sight of it.

"No," she responded back with the same tone and walked to the living room where the four sat down in a wave of tension.

"Would you like to accompany me to the pack's diner? You can bring Trent and Gabrielle if you'd like," He offered politely, extending the invitation to everyone present in the room. As if she could understand him, little Gabrielle clapped her hands wildly. Opal's heart quickened at the invitation and looked over to Trent with uncertainty, her friend nodded and a comforting smile graced his lips.

"Okay," she mumbled in reply and a beautiful, bright smile was James instant reply. Happiness soared through him and he struggled to contain it as he sat there. Brielle smiled in happiness before extending her arms to her mother. In an instant, Opal held the child close to her, the feeling of safety overcoming her and a small smile made its way to her lips. James felt his heart skip a beat, nodding to himself.

"Um, if you need a moment to prepare, you can, I'll wait," he told her with a comforting tone he knew would ease Opal's worries. His mate nodded in reply before leaving the room in a rush and up the stairs. James heart cracked a little at her reaction and sighed, looked down at the floor and dropped his shoulders.

"I wish she wasn't so afraid of me," he whispered brokenly to the man next to him. Trent nodded slowly and wished for the same thing, it would be such a challenge to get Opal to trust him, but she would eventually.

"You're doing great Alpha James," Trent replied back with hope filled in his voice.