chapter 18

a.n missed me? this book is really all about overcoming fear and growing, so of course it will take time to develop a solid relationship between our two love interests. Be patient !

When Opal woke up and she realised she was alone, she silently wished that James was there like he was last night. Although she didn't want to admit, apart of her wanted to wake up next to him. But, she pushed those thoughts away.

'He's probably busy doing Alpha duties,' Opal thought to herself. Instead of dwelling on it, she realised how well-rested she felt even though in the back of her mind, the nightmare still haunted her. She let out a breath, stretched her legs and slowly rose up from her bed, the smell of James still lingering on the pillow next to her.

Grasping the pillow firmly she brought it to her face and took a quick whiff, feeling a small fluttery feeling in the pit of her stomach. Revelling in the smell for a short moment, she heard the small tiny please of her pup calling out for her. Placing the pillow back to place, she walked over to her with her arms outstretched.

"Good morning my little pup," Opal whispered her little baby who had her arms spread open. Gently carrying her baby by her armpits she peppered small kisses across Brielle's cheeks, inhaling her scent whilst rubbing in her own. The small laughter of her pup brought flutters in her heart. "What should we have for breakfast?" she asked her baby absentmindedly, the only reply was a small gurgle.

"Toast and bacon it is," she hummed before putting slippers on her feet and going down the stairs and into the kitchen.

The air was slightly chilly as she set Brielle into her small high chair who laughed lightly to herself, smacking her tiny hands on the table. "Silly pup," Opal mused as she gathered the ingredients needed to make a very simple breakfast.

Just like the mornings before, a steady knock resonated throughout the little house. Opal's had immediately tensed at the sound, but as she took a few seconds to assess the situation, she recognised the delicious scent that slowly filled her nostril, soothing any of the worries she may have had. She didn't even realise the small smile that crept up the corners of her lips.

With a fluttery feeling in her stomach, she walked over towards the front door, Brielle watching her every movement. Opening the door she was met with James patiently waiting by the door side, a bouquet of baby breaths in his hand.

"Morning," he greeted sheepishly. "Sorry I wasn't there in the morning, I had a few things to attend to," he pushed the flowers towards her. Opal's face turned bright pink and she graciously accepted the beautiful set of flowers into her hands.

"It's okay, uh- don't worry about it," she mumbled, moving away from the door to let him in. She heard Brielle squeal for attention in the background, James chuckled next to her. Looking up towards him, the comforting blue eyes he possessed looked down at her. Another fluttery feeling entered her stomach, he almost looked like her was asking for permission as they continued to hear the baby's cries in the background. She gripped the doorknob.

"Can I hold her?" he asked softly and her eyes widened a fraction.

'Did he really just ask that?' she thought to herself but continued to nod in reply, slightly starstruck. She watched the corners of his mouth tweak up, revealing his pearly white teeth before leisurely walking towards Brielle with arms ready to grasp the pup.

Opal watched the pair on the sidelines. James, in a careful scoop, brought the pup towards his chest and snuggled her against it. Brielle squealed in delight, pressing her tiny face against his neck and remained there in content. It almost felt like a dream, watching the pair in front of her interact, as if they were in their own world. Citrine made an awkward sound in the back of her mind as they watched her pup and her mate interact as if they knew each other for years. A lot of feelings swirled in her body and she suddenly felt overwhelmed by everything going on.