chapter 16

pls comment and vote! it helps me figure out what you guys are into!

previously on the second mate:

    My friend realised that, and giving someone a second chance after everything that person has done to them, I believe is one of the most courageous and strongest things someone can do," James declared ever so confidently. Opal noticed how fond he was of his friend, and smiled softly, letting his words sink in.

Somehow, part of that story resonated with her. A second chance, after all the hardships one endures, a second chance is what can save them.

"So what happened to them?"

"They worked things out, of course, it was rocky at first. But, soon enough, they fell to the bond and I believe they are very, very happy," he concluded.

"Wow, it must've been a journey," she commented.

"Yeah, and I was glad to be apart of it," he smiled.

A second chance

-

 "You're beautiful you know that?" James whispered gently in her ear, stroking the side of her face with his finger. She instinctively leant into his touch, basking in his scent and warmth. Brielle was clinging onto James, sleeping peacefully in his arms as the pair walked around the pack lands. Wolves of all different nature greeted them, old, young and frail. The greenery swayed in the soft wind, melodic laughter rang throughout the streets as the little wolves played in the grass or kicked the ball across their yard.

Opal wrapped her arm around her mate's as they talked about anything and everything. He showed her all the places the pack had to offer, they ate in the busy local diner who was more than happy to welcome his Alpha with open arms, cooing at the sight of the child who slept peacefully.

A bright smile made its way to Opal's face as their little baby woke up from her slumber. James gave her a small, gentle kiss on her nose which he happily received one back before hugging the child to his chest, revelling in her baby-powdered scent. He became instantly protective of her as she tried to escape his arms.

"James, she wants to not be smothered," Opal laughed as Brielle outstretched her arms towards her. Quickly grabbing her baby, she too, pressed her against her chest, smelling her before letting her sit comfortably on her lap.

"You know, we should give her a little sibling," her mate suggested teasingly before throwing a wink at her direction. He wanted to hear more of the running of baby feet in the house, especially one that his mate and he created. Opal felt a blush rise to her cheek and shook her head.

"One is enough, for now, we can wait till she's older," she replied back, although she couldn't wait to have another child. Especially one with her mate.

"I guess we can still make a baby without making one," he smirked and Opal shushed him accordingly.

"You're insatiable," she groaned and gave him a slight shove on the shoulder. He only stuck his tongue out.

She tucked Brielle into her cot before she began slipped under the covers, instantly, James wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer. His head was pressed against her neck, inhaling her scent before he gave a swift kiss to the mark on her shoulder. Opal shivered under his touch, feeling his thumb caress the side of her waist.

"She's finally asleep, it took two hours to put her to bed," James groaned, tightening his hold against her waist. His wolf humming in delight satisfied that his wolf was asleep.