chapter 5

warning - dark themes

  Opal felt like crying as she grabbed a suitcase and began to load it up with her few belongings. Gabrielle was quietly playing with a stuffed animal in the corner as her mother felt her heart heavy. She spoke no words, but her mind was ablaze. She didn't want to leave a place she considered safe, she was terrified of Alpha James and she couldn't bear to start a new life somewhere else. She was comfortable where she was and leaving this familiar place to a different one terrified her more than Alpha James.

Her hands shook violently as she placed one of her shirts in the case, and a few lone tears escaped her eyes. She wished Trent was here with her, but he was packing all his things too, and she didn't want to disturb him. He had done enough for her. Bright blue, comforting eyes managed to make its way into her thoughts and she dropped what she was holding. Alpha James faces haunted her, she couldn't bear thinking about him. She gulped, her mind unconsciously drifting back to the Alpha who harassed her, leaving her in a crying mess and fought the urge to break into a sob.

She had to stay strong for her daughter, she knew how Alpha James didn't like her daughter and it hurt her knowing she may never receive the love she deserves from her mother's destined to be. What other people thought about her and her daughter mattered, James must've thought that she didn't wait for him and loved someone else. But, even though it was far away from the truth, she couldn't help but feel guilty.

Gabrielle was nothing but a miracle that kept her going, but every time she thought about her soulmate, she fought the urge to leave Brielle alone for a little while. She loved her daughter with every fibre of her being and had to protect her at all cost. Her mind drifted away to her tormentor, even if she tried to forget him, she felt this pressing matter that he will find her.

She bit her lip, trying to focus on happy thoughts, but the more she packed away her stuff, the more he managed to sneak his way into her mind.

"Please, please don't hurt me," a younger Opal murmured on her knees as her tormentor towered over her with a sick glint in her eyes. Her hands were scarred from the beatings he had given her previously, bleeding out of the wounds that were on her palms. Her haggard breath was all that could be heard before a dark chuckle fell into the room.

It made her feel sick, fear crawled up her spine as she heaved out a whimper, her throat scratchy for screaming so much. She painfully bit her lip, preventing her from any other noise that wanted to escape.

"We're not done yet until we say so," he growled, his eyes zoning in on her fragile body which quivered and shook with every breath. Satisfaction rolled off him in waves as the flickering light of a candle allowed him to see the barely covered girl in front of him. She whimpered lowly as another scary chuckle entered the room.

"Please," she cried out as she felt his arm grip her hair painfully, tears spilling through her eyelids and rolled off in waves as his touch made her move away. Disgust rolled off her body in waves as she tried to fight back her tormentor.

"I love it when you beg," he grins evilly before tugging on her hair once more and dragged her away to his room where she knew what would happen. She thrashed in arms, begging to be released, but his only reply was a dark, throaty chuckle and before she knew it, the door closed and the remains of her clothes ripped off her body.

She begged the Goddess above to let her die that very day

Opal found herself back to the present, she was safe in her room and Gabrielle cooed loudly in the corner. Her breath and heartbeat began to go quicker, as she felt his slimy hands crawl up her arms. She fought the urge to vomit as the feeling of his hands over her body made her whimper.