1. Madi Tells a Not-So-Fairytale

"Come my natblida, time for bed." 

Madi sluggishly walks over to me and lets me hold her in my arms. She smells of wildflowers and rain. Her eyes look up into mine. Her beautiful green eyes, the color of the trees, grass, and wild snakes are all mixed in her eyes. They remind me of an infinite world of green. 

"Before I go to bed," she starts, "Can you tell me the story of you and your warrior friends?" 

I smile and rub her head in a maternal way. She was so adorable.

"Why don't you tell it to me this time, Madi?" She lets out a little laugh. "Okay, Clarke."

 As I prepare her bed out of the scraps of untouched fabric I managed to find before they faced the wrath of Praimfaya, she begins to tell the tale I've told her countless times before.

"Once upon a time, there was a castle in the sky. The people who lived there were scared of ground below. But the castle was dying. So they decided to send the bad children down to the scary place, to see if they could survive. In the beginning, there were 100 of them." "A hundred and one, counting Bellamy." I correct her. "A hundred and one, right. Anyway, they were alone, with no parents. So they did whatever the hell they wanted. Then, the monsters came out." I wince as I remember the deaths of my friends due to the grounders. Oh, how the times have changed.

"Some of them killed the children. Some took the children away to steal their bones. One stole their minds. But the bad children fought back. And they realized, that together, even bad children could do good things. They even began to see, that some of the monsters were just like them." The memories of Lexa come into my head. But, I've told this story, well more like an autobiography, too many times before to cry.

"But when the parents came down to find their children, they did not understand this. They just made things worse. The hundred fought for their land, they fought for their friends. Sometimes, they fought against their own families. They tried to be the good guys, then they realized, there are no good guys, and that they weren't children anymore. But it didn't matter. After all they did to survive, it turned out that the scary place, was haunted by a monster they could not kill." Praimfaya. Praimfaya was the monster I could not kill. We could not kill. 

"So they ran, and they found a place that could save them." Jaha saved every clan by finding a fallout shelter. But that fallout shelter did more killing than saving.

"But they couldn't figure out how to share it, until a hero rose from the ashes to unite them all. In the end, when the unkillable monster finally came, not everyone made it inside. Eight warriors were forced to face the monster alone. They fought like they never fought before. But it wasn't enough. Till one of the eight, the bravest and most fierce of them all climbed the highest tower and cast a spell, that sent her friends back to the sky. Just as the monster roared in. If she had to die to save them, then she would die." I always start to cry at this point, let it be a full-on sob or a single tear. I'll never know if they made it on the ark, or if they died trying. I just know, that in that moment, I was willing to die for my friends. 

"But she didn't," Madi continues. "because she had magic blood. Only now, she was alone. Everyone she loved or cared about, was gone. Trapped under the ground, Or lost in the sky. She thought she was the last person in the world, but she was wrong. She found another, the most badass- correction- second most badass warrior on Earth. And they lived happily ever after."

"Good story Madi." I say. "Clarke, what happens if the monsters come back?" Madi asks.

"Then we'll kill them all."