6. An Exception

My voice, coming down to a whisper, asked, "You have a child Matrikas? Where is it?"

She looked down and, shamefully, placed a hand on her stomach. I wanted to cry. After all the other illegal conceived mothers and all other born children, this felt different. I did say that after the five years they could have babies, looks like I'm gonna have to change the law again. But I have to make an exception. Matrikas felt a false security because of my faults in not amending the rules.

"Matrikas, do not tell anyone else." She looked up, looking hopeful at me. "You are now an exception, and I will keep you and your baby safe down here. But, we will have to remove you from being in the common rooms from now on. I will give you a special room where you are in comfort, away from others. We cannot promote outrage over this matter."

'Heda, with all due respect, what about all other mothers? What if they also have births? If you're gonna save me but not the others that have children, how is that fair?"

She was right. But I couldn't just kill her. "You're right. I'll go make an announcement. Stay here Matrikas, I told her through the bars.

"I won't be going anywhere, Heda."

a/n- I know this was a short chapter, but there are way more important things coming, trust me.