5. She Has a Child

As Indra was walking me to the holding cells, my mind started to ponder on the thoughts of how far we've come, how far I've come.

The first year was tough, not going to lie. I think Indra and being surrounded by all the grounders and knowing about their take on life resulted in me in giving out very harsh punishments. After all, I can't be dealing with people that don't follow the rules.

Time and time again when people would break the rules of Wonkru, I had to deal with them personally. No matter the deed, whether it be stealing extra food or murdering someone, they all answered to me. My punishment: solitary confinement, with one meal a day.

Before I even instituted this plan, Jaha warned me not to. He even brought up a bunch of studies about the effects of solitary confinement, but they were all written in the early 2000's, and times have changed since then. At least I'm not killing them, right?

Telling myself that didn't clear my conscious, though. After each perpetrator's time served, they all went even crazier. Resulting in the cycle of going in, coming out, and then going back in. I think it's time to change the way we deal with punishment. Starting with this girl right now.

"Which cell?" I asked Indra. "Number three," she replied back. I turned to the right and walked until I reached cell number three.

Now, when we first started having to deal with perpetrators, we had no place to hold them. But then we saw all the extra space down by the oxygen scrubbers and algae farms. I offered my people extra food on their plates if they helped make holding cells. Of course, many were grounders, but some from Arkadia helped as well. They taught the grounders all about the technology that goes into making a special holding cell. My heart warmed when I saw how well we were all making progress and setting aside differences. The cells got built in less than a month.

When I reached the girl's cell, I stopped in front of the bars and took a look at her.

Her previous markings, welded onto her by her clan, showed me she was from, indeed, Trishana Kru. Her hair was neatly braided and the bracelets with her ancestors' stones were hanging from her belt. She looked pale, even with her dark skin. She was physically strong, no doubt, but something in her eyes told me she was mentally weak.

"Heda," she bowed.

"What's your name?" I questioned.

"Matrikas," She said with a heavy accent.

"Why, Matrikas?"

"Why what?" She asked, her face reddening in confusion and maybe despair that she'd have to talk about the murder.

"Why are you named Matrikas?"

"Oh..., my mother named me Matrikas. I don't really know why. She died three days after I was born, I was told. Some say 'Matrikas' translates to children, some say war." The way she said it told me she was glad that the subject was changed.

"I'm sorry to hear about your mother's death, Matrikas. But we cannot talk about that now. As you know, I am here because of a death in the engine room. I need to know the reason why."

"My apologies, Heda, but I killed a man, and that's the end of it." Matrikas said, almost too fast.

"I don't believe that's the end of it. No one kills someone just because they feel like it. There must be a reason why. Matrikas, as your friend, not as your 'Heda', I'd like you to tell me why you did this."

Matrikas snickered. "Friend? I'm sorry, Heda. But, we will never be friends. As my commander, Heda, I will face your wrath and bear it, for my people."

"I am your people, Matrikas. If you don't see it that way, that's fine. Some still are uneasy because of the shift that I created. Everyone just has to deal until we can find a way out of here. So far, we've had no connection with anyone outside, and this door requires help from the outside as well as the inside to open. I know our time down here is a year overdue and people are angry about that, but we will get out soon."

"What about the birth law?"

"What about it?"

"Three years ago," she started, "you said that we'd able to have children in three years. three years is up, so what will you do now if someone has a baby?"

"Why are you bringing this up? We weren't even talking about that. We need to talk about why you murdered Yama."

"The reason why I cannot answer until you answer my question about the birth law, Heda."

"Matrikas, the law is still in place until we find a way out. Everyone caught pregnant or having an illegal child must face the penalties.'

"And the penalties are..?"

"Death. Now Matrikas, I need a valid reason for why you killed Yama if you do not want to die today."

"I will die, either way, commander."

"I believe if you tell me why you did this I can save you, though."

"My cause will take two lives."

"You had an accomplice, Matrikas?"

"I have my child, Heda."