Part 4- Where bonds are broken

Xavier looked at his adopted son, seeing glee and power in his sapphire eyes. He was distraught and confused. Why had Shade done all of this, after all they'd done for him?

"After all we've done for you, and this is how you repay us."
Xavier replied, his paw balling into a fist.
"Not now, Xavier. We'll talk about this at another time. Now, you need to decide."
Shade replied.
"And make it quick. I'm becoming inpatient."

Xavier suddenly lunged at Shade, tackling him to the ground and trying to pin him there, unsuccessfully. Shade, being the stronger one of the two despite their age, pushed Xavier off of him and had his restrained by two allies of his.
"Don't kill him. I want him alive."
Shade commanded, the revolutionaries agreeing.
"You treacherous bastard! We've given you everything, and this is what we get for that!"
Xavier shouted, struggling. The two revolutionaries held him back while a third swung the hilt of his sword into Xavier's legs, having him fall to his knees.

Seeing such resistance gave Shade a reason to use force.
"Capture them all, and kill none of them."
Shade ordered, sounding surprisingly calm. He was overthrowing a queen, yet he seemed so nonchalant. Xavier feared more for the queen, however. He felt as though she'd find herself on the end of a tight rope very soon.

Indeed she did, having a noose tied around her neck, her paws tied behind her back and being made to stand over a trapdoor, just hours after the final surrender of her last knights.
Shade was standing amongst the crowd watching, just as he had seen in his dream. The only thing that separated the two situations now was time.

There wasn't even a speech stating why she was being executed, which Xavier found offensive and pathetic. He knew that the reasons for this were personal, and stating them in public wouldn't make Shade look any better. She was only asked one question.
"Do you have any last words?"
The queen gulped, scared. She wouldn't show her fear, however.
"My mother once told me that our bloodline would do something great for this nation. Perhaps this is what she meant; ending. No matter what it was, I always took pride in my position, and I will until my final breath. These revolutionaries may have bested my army in combat, but in spirit, they will never rise above us. Now, my final command as your queen."
She turned to the executioner harshly.
"Do it."
Without any further instruction, the executioner pulled a lever and the queen was left to hang. There were some cries and screams as she hung, helpless to prevent her own death. As Xavier looked into her ruby eyes, he caught her looking back, or at least trying her best to. He saw something that made his heart sink; a single tear, a tear that ran down her cheek and fell into the square hole beneath her. She was left suspended by the rope for one and a half minutes before being cut down. She was dead; there was no question about it.
"What shall we do with her body, Shade?"
The executioner asked.
"Burn it. I don't want anyone to pay their respects to her in a grave."
The executioner nodded, taking her body away after the crowds had thinned out.

Shade then entered Blaze's palace, sitting on her throne. He then remembered one crucial Pokemon who he decided would be given a choice.
"Did we capture Richard?"
Shade asked one of his allies.
"Yes, Shade. He was one of the many captured in this palace."
The knight replied.
"Bring him to me."
The guard acknowledged Shade's command and brought the Quilava, his arms and legs bound with chains, before him.
"As you know, the Queen is dead."
Shade told him.
"Yes, you made sure of that."
Richard spat back, narrowing his eyes at the Zoroark.
"However, you were her advisor, and a good one, from what I've heard. Because of that, I'm going to very kindly offer you the opportunity to be my advisor."
Richard outright refused.
"How officious and ridiculous! I would rather die than serve you! I refuse! Find another Pokemon to do it, because I would rather watch you burn than triumph, even less so by your side!"
Shade sensed real fire in his words.
"Very well, I tried to give you an offer. You can enjoy the four walls of your newest home, a jail cell."
Shade replied.
"I will, more than I ever could serving you!"
He shouted back as he was dragged away.

He chose a new advisor, someone he knew he could trust. A Zangoose named Seramon. If anyone could get a job done to Shade's standard, it was him.
"Go now, Seramon. Make it known that I will assume direct control over Verana and it's army, and if anyone refuses to accept me as their leader, kill them."
Shade ordered.
"Very good, Shade."
Seramon replied before leaving.

Shade sat on his new throne, thinking of what he had done, all he had given up. He also thought of what he'd achieved, and what he could achieve. He had conquered a nation known for its military successes and destroyed that reputation from the inside. But by doing this, he could change the nation as he liked. He had lost the support of the queen and most likely Xavier, but with Pokemon like Seramon and his loyal army officials, did he really need them? His biggest achievement left him slightly conflicted, but he wouldn't let it show. He had to show he was strong enough to rule, and he was determined.

After Seramon's return, a knight of Shade's entered the palace.
"My lord, we conducted a search of the mountains as you requested. There was a settlement there, but it was abandoned and empty."
Shade had ordered the search for Luca after he refused to fight in the revolution in his favour. Luca had fled his home and Shade had expected him to head there. He now knew he was wrong.
"I should have known. It seems he's smarter than we originally thought. Search the nation for him. I want him found or gone; if he isn't here, then we'll capture him later. What about Xavier? Is he confined?"
The knight then hesitated.
"Lord Shade, he escaped as well. We don't have confirmation, but he and Luca may have-"
Shade stood up, his eyes glowing. He approached he knight and stared at him in the eye.
"Are you telling me, that two of the best knights in the nation, escaped together?"
Shade asked furiously.
"I am deeply sorry, my lord."
Shade turned away from him, seething with rage. He suddenly turned around and hit him hard across the face.
"If I ask you to capture two Pokemon, I want it done! You're part of my army now, and you will follow my orders!"
Shade shouted. The knight got up.
"Get out of my sight. Find them, soon! And contact the flaming arrow. I've been meaning to speak with Ryan. I didn't see him at the execution."
Shade began to walk back to his throne as the knight left.
"Pokemon like him is the reason why I task you with so much. You fulfil my orders. They don't."
He said to Seramon.
"If you want me to find them, I'll do it, my lord."
He replied, getting Shade to shake his head.
"No, I need you here with me until my rule is official."
He replied. Seramon simply nodded, acknowledging his lord's words.

So, he really did it. How much more terror lies ahead? It won't be long until we find out. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and see you in the next one!