Part 13- A lost friend

The battles had been costly, and the advancements had been little, but at long last, the samurai had Shade's palace in sight.
"Only a few settlements remain between our current position and Shade's palace. We will see him soon."
Tsumaru announced. Xavier was nervous. He was worried that if it was left to him, he wouldn't be able to do it. He had raised Shade since he was a young Zorua. He had so many fond memories of the dark type, and now, he didn't even know him anymore. He had tried not to let his past with Shade get to him, but it was hard at times. He was left heartbroken when Shade turned against him and the queen. He had never thought such a thing would happen. And yet, in the queen's palace, the atrocity that was his adopted son sat upon a throne, watching thousands die around him. Whether he liked it or not, Xavier knew that it was more important than anything to end Shade's reign. The innocent civilians of Verana were counting on him.

Luca patted Xavier's shoulder, snapping him out of his thoughts.
"Come on now, Xavier. This army needs you. Don't let that monster's past self stop you from remembering that."
Xavier wished it was that easy. At the same time, he didn't expect Luca to understand. He had never raised a Pokemon before, let alone have it grow up and turn against him.

The knights had launched waves of attacks constantly over a one week period. It seemed that for every one attack beaten back, two more were launched. It was beginning to cost the samurai, who were beginning to exhaust their numbers. They needed to reach their other ranks coming from the south soon.

Another week went by, and another major victory for the samurai led them to Shade's front door. The discoveries on the way there however was alarming. Many settlements had been burned, and there was no sign of life at all. The towns passed by the samurai were barren and worn down. In fact, it had been a recurring appearance nationwide. Xavier had a bad feeling that something terrible was going on that he didn't know about. He wanted to find out as soon as he could.

The final battle loomed near as the samurai army fought the knights all the way back to their royal territory, a small part of the land, spanning around the palace. This was it; all of the battles had been building up to this one. As Shade's final garrison stood in front of the palace, the samurai, now united and highly motivated, prepared to take them on. Shade himself wasn't present, as Xavier had expected. He and Seramon were probably inside, preparing an escape plan. Xavier wouldn't be deterred however. Any plan to escape would be foiled. As he thought of his plan to enter the palace, the two armies clashed. Unknown to Xavier, a certain dark type was watching from the royal balcony.

As Xavier cut another of his former allies down, he saw another face he was very familiar with. It was Ryan, who, with tears brimming in his eyes, had an arrow notched, aimed at Xavier.
"Ryan..."
Xavier could barely put the words together. He understood that he served Shade now, but it was still worth trying to break thorough Ryan's loyalty to the tyrant.
"I'm so sorry..."
Ryan let the arrow fly, and Xavier waited for the sudden pain of the arrow, but it never came. Suddenly, Xavier heard a cry of pain from behind him, and noticed that Ryan had shot over his shoulder, hitting a knight ready to kill Xavier.

Unfortunately for Ryan, Shade had seen the act, and he was enraged. He was prepared to do something about it, too.

Xavier looked at the fire type, astounded.
"You just... you saved my life. But I thought..."
Ryan had tears running down his face.
"I'm sorry for everything, Xavier. I never should have turned you down that night, when you came to our home."
Suddenly a loud, slightly deep voice boomed from behind Ryan.
"You! You betrayed me!"
It was Shade, weapon and armour all equipped.
"No..."
Ryan replied.
"I betrayed him."
He looked back at Xavier who smiled slightly, suddenly glaring at Shade.
"And now,"
Ryan continued.
"I think it's about time I repaid him for the damage you've forced me to cause."
As Ryan began to walk toward Xavier, he was stopped by Seramon, who grabbed his archer outfit and flung him back to Shade.
"No..."
Xavier uttered, rushing toward the two, being stopped by Seramon. Shade was far too strong for Ryan, and he showed it by pinning him on the ground. What happened next seemed to happen in slow motion. As Xavier watched, Ryan was helpless to stop Shade, who took his halberd...

And impaled Ryan through the back with the spike.

"No!"
Xavier screamed, still not being able to overpower Seramon. It was then a stray arrow hit Shade in the shoulder, who stumbled backward from Ryan. The fire type was still bleeding out, dying slowly. Seramon shoved Xavier to the ground, almost not blocking the suddenly incoming blade from Tsumaru.

Seeing the opportunity, Xavier made his way to Ryan, quickly stumbling to his dying body.
"Ryan! Stay with me! I know you can hold on. Come on, Ryan. Please!"
Xavier wasn't confident about Ryan's chances, but he didn't want to show it.
He had known Ryan since the imperial war, and he didn't want to lose him, despite what happened with Shade's hostile acquisition of power and the Flaming Arrow's allegiance.
"Please stop, Xavier. You know I never like hearing that kind of thing."
Ryan coughed, blood pouring from the corner if his mouth.
"No, Ryan. You have to hold on. Don't give up on me!"
Xavier wasn't giving up.
"Nothing will stop me from dying now. You need to face that. I'm glad... that I will... with you next to me, though."
He took Xavier's paw, giving it a light squeeze.
"Don't feel bad for me. I wouldn't want you to let this interfere with your life when it's all over. And another thing..."
Ryan coughed again, smiling slightly and looking Xavier in the eye.
"If you see Shade at any point through this... kick his ass for me."
Ryan laughed a little as Xavier smiled.
"Count on it."
Xavier replied. Ryan began coughing Violently, eventually going quiet. He took one last breath, putting a paw on Xavier's chest plate. Xavier put a paw over Ryan's, tears streaming down his face. Ryan then closed his eyes and went limp, the paw on Xavier's chest slipping as one of Xavier's longest known friends, who he had fought beside before, died peacefully in his arms. As Xavier's grief turned to Anger, he saw Shade and Seramon retreating to the palace. He looked at the two with fire in his eyes. He would get his revenge.
"Mark my words Shade. I'm going to kill as many knights as I have to to reach you, and once I do, you'll know the true meaning of pain. Prepare yourself, you villainous tyrant! I'm coming for you!"
With that, Xavier stood up, ready to fight. After all, he had a battle to win, and a Tyrant to kill. His history would play no part on the battle after what he had done. It was too late for that. He had sentenced himself to death, and Xavier would be his executioner.

Ryan... he will be remembered. He died a heroic death, following the path of right. May Arceus in heaven rest his soul.

Aside from the sad death of Ryan, I enjoyed writing this one to an extent. I hoped you enjoyed reading it, and remember to vote and comment if you did! Until next time guys, stay awesome, and peace!