Part 12- Imperial Assistance

As the army reached the bottom of Anferia's tall cliffs, they settled into an abandoned village that would serve as a good outpost for the time being.
"This place is completely abandoned. Why stop here when we can resupply in the populated village just ahead?"
Luca asked.
"Because we're closer to Anferia here, which could serve crucial to winning this war. Any vantage point over the palace is worth taking. This one is like no other."
Xavier replied. Luca begrudgingly let the argument go after that.

After fully settling, the army received unexpected news to Xavier and Luca.
"Tsumaru, the army has taken the central cities and is ready to advance on your command."
Tsumaru nodded.
"Very good. Tell them not to advance until instructed. It's important that we time this right."
He replied. The samurai nodded, heading back to where he had came from. Xavier had questions regarding that report.
"I thought the landing force was staying at the fort. At least, the ones who didn't come with us."
Xavier inquired. Tsumaru turned to him.
"Xavier, our army has been attacking outpost by outpost, just as we have. After we landed, a large fraction of our army mobilised down the Eastern coast of the nation, beginning to move North from the south. We control more of this nation than Shade's army at this moment."
The news shocked Xavier.
"Why weren't we told about this?"
Xavier asked.
"It wasn't really something we thought to mention. You want this nation to be reformed, do you not?"
Xavier crossed his arms.
"I want Shade to fall. The nation should flourish, after being relieved from his rule. I'll do everything I can to see to it that it does."
Luca nodded in agreement. Both had a personal connection to the nation, and both felt bad for what had happened. At the same time, such a tragedy gave them the drive they needed to relieve Shade of his position as the undeserving leader of Verana.

Atop Anferia's cliffs, the sight of the palace was clear as day.
"If only we had a siege engine. We could destroy that palace where it stood."
Luca said aloud.
"We don't need to destroy the palace. That has stood for centuries. It's who's in the palace that's the problem."
Xavier replied.
"It looks close."
Tsumaru commented.
"It's a ten hour walk from here. With our army thinning the enemy presence, it shouldn't be hard to reach."

That much was true. Over the last few days, the samurai had made incredible advancements. Shade's army was slowly being pushed back, now almost cornered in the Northwest region of Verana. Shade had also received word that the Dencarian Empire had resisted his northern conquests, leaving only a few stragglers returning home.

The Dencarian Empire was led by a Nidoking named Taulius. He himself was a soldier, giving him great experience on and behind the front lines. When Shade's armies invaded the northern regions, which included Dencaria, the army under Taulius slaughtered the knights, not stopping until they had been pushed back all the way to Northern Verana. It left Shade with a big problem; firstly the Samurai had taken the East and South of the nation, and Imperial Dencariam troops had pushed them back to the North. Beyond the west of Verana was nothing more than ocean, and without a fleet, Shade wasn't going anywhere.

It wasn't long before a Dencarian patrol made contact with the Samurai. The patrol was wary at first. The samurai were both surprised and curious as to why Dencarian troops were wandering in Verana. Korishi was present when the first contact took place.
"Greetings. It's not often Dencarian troops and Samurai troops get to speak."
Koroshi said.
"Indeed."
The leader of the patrol replied.
"May we ask why you're here in Verana?"
Koroshi explained the invasion, and the leader stated their situation was very much the same.
"It would sound as though we're fighting for the same cause, Samurai. We will tell commander Taulius about this. You may take word back to your camp and let your allies know that the Dencarian Empire is on your side."
Korishi shook the leader's hand.
"I will. Well met, commander. May our paths cross again."
The leader nodded.
"Long life to you, Samurai."

The leader left to tell Taulius of their newly forged alliance, and the bigger threat to Shade. It wouldn't be long before all Shade had fought for would come crashing down. His fall was on the horizon, and he knew it. With his army in retreat, this war would very soon be over, and the result would be one of the best Verana could hope for.