Part 15- Verana's reform

With Shade and Seramon dead, the time had come at last for Verana's reconstruction. After the Tyrant's death, the knight army was decimated, only leaving a few stragglers who escaped to foreign land. Soldiers from the Dencarian Empire soon reached the samurai, joining in celebrations as Verana had passed yet another dark age in its history.

As the samurai and Dencarian soldiers assessed their losses, Tsumaru approached Luca and Xavier with Hokoshao and Koroshi alongside him.
"On behalf of the samurai, we would like to thank you for your assistance. We will not forget what you have done,  and will be in your debt. If there is anything you wish for that we can provide, we will gladly oblige."
The three bowed respectfully before the two.
"Thank you. It was an honour to fight alongside you."
Xavier replied, he and Luca Bowing also.
"So what will you do now that your land is free?"
Tsumaru asked.
"First, we need to find a new ruler. It will be a tough choice."
Xavier replied.
"We also have to rebuild the nation. Shade wanted to destroy Verana, blaming it for all he lost. We need to show that his efforts were all in vain. Verana is too strong to give in to the will of any one Pokemon. The population will rebuild and create a better, stronger and safer Verana."
Xavier was determined to see Verana's reform through. Luca smiled at Xavier's statement.
"I have no doubt that will happen."
He told Xavier, who turned to Tsumaru.
"You told us to inform you if we had anything we desired, correct? Well, I wish for your army to help our struggling nation rebuild. We could use your help. We would then be in your debt."
Xavier told Tsumaru. Tsumaru looked back at his two companions, who looked back at him, their expressions hidden by their masks. Tsumaru knew what they were thinking.
"Very well. Our army will build your nation up once more."
Xavier shook Tsumaru's hand.
"All of Verana thanks you. Your help will be invaluable to the nation and all who live in it."

Several months later
Staying true to their word, the samurai contributed labour and resources to Verana's reconstruction, as did the Dencarian Empire without prompting. In return, they became a close ally, and were promised a sum of money once Verana was back in good form. The towns and cities were almost ready to be put back into production, and the army had been rebuilt. With foreign aid, Verana's economy was also flourishing, and the population had a place they were proud to call home once more. Xavier and Luca themselves had plans, and they would miss Verana greatly.

Tsumaru, Xavier and Luca stood outside the palace, which had new, more secure doors to cover its large doorway.
"So who will lead Verana now?"
Tsumaru asked, looking at Xavier suggestively. Xavier was shocked.
"You think I should?"
"Not just me..."
Tsumaru pointed toward the crowd of civilians to the left of Xavier, who was taken aback.
"I... I couldn't. I'm no leader. I follow orders, I don't give them. Besides, we already have someone else who may be willing."
He pushed the new palace doors open, revealing a Gallade and a Quilava.
"As it turns out, Luca and I aren't the only remaining soldiers of Verana's old army."
Xavier explained as the crowd entered the palace. Many were seeing the inside of it for the first time.
"Rendan is possibly the longest lasting soldier in Verana's history, and his devotion to this nation is more clear than anyone's."
Xavier then looked to the Quilava.
"Then there's Richard. He was the queen's advisor, and for the duration of the war, he lived in the palace's dungeon under Shade's orders. He's seen a lot over the years, but here he is, proud and faithful as ever. He's also the only Pokemon left within Verana with the authority to make any Pokemon in the nation its new ruler."
Xavier then concluded, Rendan and Richard smiling proudly as they stood before the crowd. Richard looked at Rendan.
"I've never ruled before, but I know a lot about advising whoever is."
He held his paw out to Rendan.
"If you take my paw, you will be Verana's new ruler, and it will be made official in front of all of these Pokemon. The choice is yours, Rendan. Will you rule the new, reformed Verana?"
Everyone watched in anticipation as Rendan looked at Richard, who, with his paw extended, looked at Rendan with encouraging and accepting eyes. Rendan held out an arm before putting both behind his back.

"No, I can't."
He replied.

The crowd were silenced for even longer. Richard himself was shocked, but Rendan had his reasons.
"I, like Xavier, am a soldier. I was never meant to be a ruler. The responsibility is far too great for someone like me. I was taught to fight rather than rule, and until my dying breath, that's what I'll devote myself to. The life of a soldier."
Rendan told Richard.
"But if you won't rule Verana, who will? In order for Verana to truly reform, it needs a new leader."
The Quilava inquired. Rendan knelt before Richard.
"Why don't you shake your own paw, because there's no better leader for Verana."
Richard was shocked yet again.
"But I told you. I don't know how to rule."
Richard protested.
"Then learn. You advised queen Blaze for years. You were the closest Pokemon to the best ruler of Verana in almost two decades. Remember what you know and use it to learn. I would swear allegiance to you, and the Pokemon of this nation would too. You need only have the confidence in yourself to do it."
Rendan encouraged him. Richard looked at the crowd. Xavier nodded, smiling. Luca and Tsumaru did as well. Richard looked back to Rendan, his decision made.
"I'll need an advisor if I myself cannot be one."
Rendan bowed.
"It would be my pleasure."
Richard smiled.
"Very well. If that is the case, I'll do it."
Xavier walked up to Richard, turning to face the crowd.
"Then it's official. All hail King Richard of Verana!"
The crowd chanted the phrase while clapping and cheering. With that, Verana's new leader had been decided, and its reformation was complete. It was now a whole new nation, and one with a bright future, no doubt.

The sun set over the horizon as Luca and Xavier prepared to leave. The samurai and Dencarian soldiers had already given their regards and left the nation. It was now independent once more.
"So where do you plan to travel?"
King Richard asked.
"North, my liege. We're finally prepared to leave Verana behind forever."
Xavier replied. Although all was well, Xavier and Luca didn't feel at home in Verana anymore. After the loss of Ryan and Shade, there was too much to remember to feel comfortable there. Ryan's burial was the last major event they attended. They wouldn't be present for Richard's official coronation.
"Very well. I know how deeply rooted your connections with Verana are, and we're sad to see you go. You've done many great things for this nation, and for that, I thank you. Know that you're welcome here any time."
Richard told them. They both bowed and left, giving their regards.

Now that Verana was stable again, Xavier and Luca were satisfied that it would be a better place for everyone in it to live. They headed north, a destination already in mind. Both had fought their battles, and with that in mind, were ready to move on. As they headed for new lands and new lives, they knew that everything they had seen, done and felt would live on within them forever. Such memories were too significant to forget.

And that's it! A good and happy ending for Verana, but it's not yet over! You haven't yet seen the last of our two heroes. Be sure to read the concluding chapter featuring them both, coming soon. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and until next time, Hail King Richard!

Haha, see you in the next chapter, guys.