Part 9- Xavier, Luca and the Samurai

After hearing Rendan's story about Tanashima's imminent invasion, Xavier and Luca had gone straight there. They sailed by ship and arrived a few miles south of where Shade's fleet had. Xavier was surprised to see that their ship, aside with the ones owned by the samurai, was the only one there.
"It looks like we missed the battle."
Luca remarked.
"But how can that be? Was the invasion really pushed back that quickly? Something's not right."
Xavier replied.

He then set his sights on the wall, looking among the samurai archers. They were watching the ship, seemingly with great suspicion. It was then he saw a Greninja appear and look in the same direction.

"There's only one ship, but I see soldiers on board."
A samurai archer told the Greninja. Tanashima was one of few nations in the northern region that spoke its own language. It made communications between nations difficult at times.
The Greninja didn't look away from the ship.
"Don't shoot. One ship won't be capable of much. It will be interesting to see what the soldiers on board have to say."
The samurai commander then headed for the main gate, watching the ship pass through it.
"Let's Hope we don't get killed as soon as we step off this damn thing."
Luca sounded slightly unnerved as he saw all of the samurai looking at the two intently.
"Just don't draw your weapon and you'll come across as less threatening."
Xavier advised as the ship stopped.
"Tell that to him."
Luca looked at the Greninja who stood at the ship's left side, his long, curved sword next to him. The two got off and bowed slightly before the commander.
He did the same before greeting them.
"Welcome, travellers."
Xavier was not surprised to find the large Pokemon knew their language.
"What is it that brings you to our peaceful land?"
Xavier was confused.
"Peaceful? Aren't you at war with Verana?"
The samurai nodded slightly.
"Their fleet left our nation not long ago, but before we go to them, we must rebuild. In the meantime, we have no quarrels to settle."
That gave Xavier his answer. Shade's fleet had gone after all.

Xavier understood it as a temporary solution. Shade would be back if left to rebuild for long enough.
"The truth is, we were here to assist you in the war, but it seems as though you don't need our help."
Luca told the commander.
"You look to assist us? Where exactly do you come from, warriors?"
Xavier hesitated.
"We both grew up in Verana since we hatched, but as long as Shade rules it, we don't consider it our home. We want to make things right there again, no matter the cost."
The Greninja didn't know what to make of his comment at first. After a moment, he walked forward, ushering them to follow.
"If you are here to assist us, we must make sure your intentions are pure. Follow me, and until we do know you're here to help us, don't do anything that may look suspicious."
Both Xavier and Luca nodded, following.

They walked through the nation, trying not to take the inquiring stares too personally. It was like they were aliens; like every soldier and citizen had never seen an outside Pokemon before.
"So, do you rule this nation?"
Luca asked.
"Yes, but not alone. My two companions rule alongside me, and we all decide how to move forward together."
Xavier nodded.
"I don't believe we got your name."
He said to the samurai.
"My name is Tsumaru. What do your companions call you?"
Tsumaru asked.
"My name is Xavier. My friend here is named Luca."
Xavier explained.
"It's good to know you both at a time like this. We do hope you can be of as much help as possible to us."
Tsumaru sounded slightly desperate. Xavier knew a war wasn't ideal to anyone, especially a nation as peaceful as Tanashima.

They arrived at the palace, and upon entering, the two Lucario set eyes on a Delphox and a Chestnaught. The two other leaders stood, looking at Tsumaru.
"Who are these two soldiers? Are they Knights?"
The Delphox asked in a language the knights couldn't understand.
"Yes. These two are Xavier and Luca. They claim to have defected from Verana's army and wish to help us."
Tsumaru replied in the same language.
"You better hope they're telling the truth. You will be held liable if anything happens to our nation because of them."
The Chestnaught chimed in as Xavier and Luca stood confused.
Tsumaru nodded.
"Xavier, Luca, meet Hokoshao,"
The Delphox gave a small courtesy to the knights.
"And Koroshi."
The Chestnaught nodded as a greeting.

"We do hope you will help us. Your intention to assist our army will help us greatly."
Koroshi told them.
"We don't wish to harm any knights if possible. I only want to get to Shade and Seramon, who will be in the fortress."
Xavier replied.
"If that is what you want, we will help you get there. We know a way into the nation which will not require us to advance from the south and therefore the whole nation. We have found a route that will make reaching the fortress faster and less costly to our numbers."
Hokoshao told the two knights.
"That's wonderful. When do you plan to travel?"
Luca asked.
"We will sail for their shore in two weeks. We must repair damages before we can go. And to ensure you aren't going to give this information to Shade, you will stay here, within the grounds of the palace until we go."
Koroshi informed the knights.

At first it seemed slightly intimidating, but the knights soon found that, despite stares from other samurai, they were fairly welcome within the palace grounds. It had a large garden and a training ground, which Xavier was excited about. The palace itself was huge, with many inhabitants. Xavier and Luca were to sleep in the same room under the samurais' watch, to ensure they didn't escape if they tried to. Overall, Xavier and Luca felt comfortable staying in the palace, and before they knew it, they'd be sailing for Verana. They would make thing right again, no matter the cost. It was the least the nation and all of its inhabitants deserved.