Part 14- Freeing Verana once more

Shade and Seramon headed for Shade's chamber, behind the main hall of the palace.
"Have we received any news from Haralen yet? Has it been burned?"
Shade asked.
"To the ground. There were no buildings left."
Seramon replied.
"Good. That's all of the major towns in the country. Take what you need and meet me back here. We're leaving."
Shade replied, retrieving a few of his closest belongings. He had done what he intended to, and now his short window to escape was closing. He didn't have long left.

Meanwhile, the fighting outside was looking bad for the knights. The samurai had them cornered, and Dencarian soldiers had fought the invaders all the way back to their Northwest border. If Shade was to escape, he would need to move soon. It was becoming more and more difficult for the knights to defend their leader.

"Tsumaru, Hokoshao! Over here!"
Xavier called the two samurai leaders over to himself and Luca.
"We're going after Shade in his palace. Do you think you could secure a way out once we're inside?"
They nodded.
"Do not take long. We don't know how long you will have before you are cut off."
Hokoshao advised.

Together, the four fought their way to the palace doors, breaking through and seeing Shade atop the staircase of the main hall.

~Two minutes earlier~
Shade had collected what he needed and was waiting for Seramon to join him. When he failed to arrive, he went looking for him.
"Seramon! Where are you? We're running out of time!"
He received no response.
"Seramon! Let's go!"
Shade then heard the palace doors burst open, seeing Xavier, Luca, Tsumaru and Hokoshao standing together.

Xavier looked at the dark type, ready to do what he had to.
"Hurry. We'll hold the entrance for as long as we can."
Tsumaru told the two Lucario. Together, Xavier and Luca headed up the stairs, following a fleeing Shade. Suddenly, Seramon turned the corner, Shield bashing Luca to the ground. Xavier stopped and looked back at Luca, who stood tall again.
"Go. I'll handle this one."
Seramon wasn't so certain. He turned to catch Xavier, but Luca grabbed him and pulled him back before positioning himself between the Zangoose and Lucario.
"Very well. I'll kill you and go for your friend next."
Seramon let his flail fall to his side, winding it up for a heavy swing. As he did, Xavier went to find Shade.

He soon did. Xavier entered the Zoroark's main chamber, previously belonging to the queen, and saw him sitting on the edge of his bed, looking at the ground.
"I didn't expect to have my escape delayed,"
Shade stood up, holding his halberd.
"But I guess it's better late than never."
Xavier growled.
"You're not going anywhere."
He approached the door, closing it and barring it closed with a sword lying against the wall. He returned to his former adopted son, fire in his eyes.
"So the circle is complete. Fourteen years ago I killed your father, and now, I'll kill you."
Xavier twirled his sword in his paw.
"You won't rule Verana for another day."
To Xavier's surprise, Shade laughed at his comment.
"Did you really think I wanted to rule Verana? I hate this place! It's home to the worst Pokemon I've ever known! Oh no, Xavier. I took control over this Arceus damn place for one reason; so I could destroy it."
Xavier was taken aback by the statement.
"What did you just say?"
Shade grinned sinisterly.
"Since I took control, everything has gone according to plan. It was simple really. Starting a war with the samurai? Wanting to control another land? That was just a distraction. Surely you've noticed the burning settlements throughout Verana. I ordered those settlements to be destroyed, and nobody knew that Seramon carried out all of those orders aside from me. Your farms, residential buildings and towns; All of them, gone. Burned to the ground. This war destroyed the army, and now all that's left to destroy is you. I've said it all before, Xavier. You killed my father, took me away from my family and home and dashed my hope of love. You ruined my life, and in return, I ruined your country. Revenge is sweet, isn't it?"
So many thoughts were going around in Xavier's head. He had lost so much, but he felt he caused it all himself. Verana's destruction... could have been prevented. His sadness turned to anger as he held his sword tightly.
"You sinister, monstrous seed of evil! The Pokemon of this nation trusted you!"
Xavier shouted.
"So very visceral, aren't you Xavier? I trusted you! And look what I got in return! Unfair, isn't it?"
Shade retorted. Xavier lost it. He charged at the dark type. He would kill the Tyrant he once loved, for Verana, for the queen...

And for Ryan.

Xavier swung his sword, but Shade blocked it with ease, kicking Xavier back a few feet. It was Shade's turn as he brought his halberd above his head and brought it down hard, having Xavier dodge it. Both of Shade's arms were exposed, and Xavier cut the Zoroark's left arm, causing the deep gash to bleed. Shade grunted in pain, pulling the blade of his halberd out of the wooden floorboards beneath him. Shade was forced to block a swing from Xavier, who then swung his shield horizontally into Shade's stomach. He doubled over; the hit had knocked the wind out of him. Xavier grabbed Shade's head with one paw and his back with the other, running forward with the Zoroark and throwing him into a stone wall. Shade lay there, already looking tired.
"Come on! Get up!"
Xavier taunted, kicking the dark type, who rolled into his stomach.
"You weak fool! How did you lead a revolution?"
Shade soon stood up, looking angrier than before. His eyes glowed with rage as he picked up his weapon and approached Xavier. He hit Xavier with the pommel of his halberd, cutting his leg with the blade. He swung his weapon hard again, but Xavier parried the hit at the perfect time. As Shade stumbled backward, Xavier knocked him back further with a shield bash. He delivered a hard swing across Shade's chest, the hit connecting. Shade cried out in pain as he looked at the cut. It was a pretty bad one. Shade was persistent, however as he stood up again. He now had two bad injuries but he was holding up for the moment.

A few more minutes of battling passed before a messy swing from Xavier gave Shade a chance. In one fluent motion, Shade dodged to the side and swung at the back of Xavier's knees. Xavier fell to his knees as a result, and being behind him, Shade put the staff of his weapon to Xavier's neck and pulled back toward him. Xavier struggled to break free as Shade continued to choke him out. Xavier just wasn't strong enough to stop the Tyrant. Shade was naturally stronger, despite his much younger age.

In one last desperate attempt, Xavier grabbed a dagger, and drove it into Shade's face. Being in front of him, Xavier didn't see where he hit, but it made Shade drop his halberd like a hot rock and scream in pain. He stumbled back, and Xavier turned to see where he had stabbed.

He had almost drove the dagger right through Shade's muzzle.

Shade fell to his knees and covered his muzzle with both paws, in absolute agony. Eventually, he pulled the dagger out, blood spewing from it immediately. There was no way Shade would survive that. He held his bleeding muzzle, seeing Xavier pointing his sword at his neck.
"You're through. Accept your fate, Shade."
Shade shed a few tears, both of pain and sadness. He knew that heed been beaten.
"I know I won't survive now. But know this. You let me destroy Verana. It's all your fault."
Xavier scowled.
"It was all your sinister plan. The only thing I'm ashamed of is not killing you earlier. Anything else you want to say before I end your terrible existence?"
Shade held his arms out at his sides.
"See you in Hell, Xavier. I'll be waiting for you."
With that, Xavier cut the dark type's head clean off with one clean swing. His lifeless body fell to the floor, his head landing at Xavier's feet. Although his adopted son was evil in the end, Xavier was unable to stop the memories coming back to him. Just as he was about to break down in tears, he heard an agonising cry from down the hall.
"Luca!"
He called, finding the Lucario struggling. Xavier sprinted to his aid, and as the Zangoose wound up another swing, Xavier cut his arm clean off. Seramon watched his weapon go straight up and hit the ground before losing his head a second later. His body, like Shade's, slumped to the ground as his living existence suddenly ceased.

Once he was dead, Xavier and Luca headed outside. Now the two had done what they had to, they were free to leave, and with the guidance of Tsumaru and Hokoshao, that's what they did. The battle wasn't over yet, however, and a few more urgent problems would also need their attention. The death of Shade was hardly the means to an end.

That's all for this chapter, and don't think it's over yet! This isn't the end; there's still 2-3 more chapters to come, and I can't wait to write them!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and at long last the end is near. I'll see you all in the next chapter, where Verana might finally find peace. It's been long enough, that's for sure.