Part 10- Preparation for battle

One and a half weeks later, Xavier and Luca found themselves in the training arena of the samurai for the first time.
"Why did you wait so long to bring us here? This will be my highlight of our visit!"
Xavier said as Tsumaru stood beside them. Two samurai warriors were sparring in the ring.
"There's more to a battle than just fighting. Getting to know your enemies and your allies can also turn the tide of a battle."
Tsumaru advised.
"Yes, I know that. You've shown us that your soldiers are a powerful presence on the battlefield. I would have just liked to come here before."
Xavier replied, getting Tsumaru to laugh a little.
"I admire the drive you knights have. Combined with our collective strength, our chances of victory will be improved."

Soon, Xavier and Luca stood in the ring together. Tsumaru, Hokoshao, Koroshi and a group of samurai soldiers were watching.
"Show us which if you is more powerful, and how well you both fight. We would like to see the power of you knights up close."
Tsumaru told them. Xavier chuckled.
"Good luck, Luca."
Luca bowed a little, smiling.
"Don't hold yourself back, commander."
With that, the two clashed. Luca swiftly struck with his sword, but Xavier managed to block with his shield.
"Hiding behind your shield so early?"
Luca taunted.
"Watch yourself. My shield can be a weapon as well as a defensive tool."
Xavier replied, shield bashing Luca and causing him to stagger backward. He swung his sword, knowing Luca would dodge, as he did. Xavier dodged a shoulder bash, jabbing Luca lightly in the shoulder. Luca took a step back as the jab connected, a small amount of blood trickling from the wound. Xavier twirled his sword in his paw as he waited for a retaliation. Luca swung his sword at Xavier again, who blocked it and countered with another shield bash. Luca hit a pillar just outside of the ring, stumbling. Xavier could have swung his sword at that moment, but he didn't want to injure his friend too badly. Instead, he waited for Luca to return to the centre of the ring. As Luca did, he tried to hit the commander again, who swung his shield at the blade with equal force. Luca lost his composure again, giving Xavier time to rush into him and, using his shield, he charged forward and pushed Luca out of the ring. Luca fell onto his back, dropping his sword. The training battle was then ended by Tsumaru.
"Impressive, knights. It would seem a though you are the stronger one, Xavier."
Xavier nodded.
"I don't tend to think of myself as such. The difference between my allies' and my skill has never been of great concern to me."
He replied modestly.
Luca got up, and the two bowed respectfully. As Luca retrieved his sword, a Riolu approached the two knights.
"That was fun to watch. I hope one day I'll be as good as you both, or better."
Xavier chuckled, getting down on one knee.
"If you put the time and effort into it, you'll do just that. Any obstacle you come across can be overcome if you really want to become a great warrior."
Xavier was curious to know what weapon the young Pokemon used.
"Say, what weapon do you use?"
The Riolu showed Xavier a pair of nunchucks.
"I'm training to use these. When I grow up, I'll use sickles. I'm going to become a stealthy samurai."
Xavier admired his courage and his drive as he watched the Riolu skilfully and rapidly spin the nunchucks in his paw. He grabbed his sword by the blade, prodding the Riolu gently with the handle of his sword.
"And Tsumaru says us knights have good drive."
After putting his sword back and watching the Riolu leave, Xavier got up to find Luca smiling at him.
"He reminds you of yourself, doesn't he?"
Xavier was taken aback slightly by the sudden question.
"Well, I- uh, maybe a little."
Luca laughed, amused by his friend's reply.
"He is an ambitious little one."
Luca watched as a Lucario picked up the Riolu, presumably his father. The Riolu laughed and smiled as the Lucario talked to him. Luca looked back to Xavier, noticing a tear trail down his cheek. Luca walked up to him to comfort him.
"Your father would be proud. He'll be even more so once you finish this war. If anyone can, it's you. You'll live the life of a glorified hero when this is all finished."
Xavier wiped a few tears away.
"I'm not doing it for fame. I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do. Nevertheless, I'll make my father proud. I pray he's watching over me, because I could really use his guidance through this. There's still a long road ahead, but he'll keep me safe,"
Xavier replied.
"Like he always has."

The ships were soon ready to sail to Shade's Verana. The plan was set and put into motion. The attack marked the beginning of the end for the young tyrant, and it was coming sooner than he thought. Xavier and Luca stood at the bow of one ship, looking in Verana's direction.
"I started this problem by bringing him into that land. I'll sure as hell be the one to take him out. For the queen."
Xavier said, holding the hilt of his sword out to Luca.
"That's right. For the queen."
Luca met Xavier's hilt with the hilt from his own blade as they both looked out to the horizon. The final battle would soon be upon them, and Xavier knew it was one he couldn't lose.