:: Chapter Five ::

new year same me writing way too many authors notes. xoxo have fun reading. 

Chapter Five 

Sophie stumbled into her room after the long day at work and all but sighed in relief. "You really don't look good." Her head snapped towards the mirror standing in the corner of her room, and a frown appeared on her face. 

"When did you move into here?" she asked Vertina. 

"Edaline thought I was wasting away your closet, I believe," Vertina replied. "Why do you look like such a mess?" 

Sophie sighed and fell back on her bed. "Long day at work," she told the mirror. "I'm going out with Keefe and Dex plus whoever Dex brings in maybe an hour but I'm just so tired I think I'm going to take a thirty minute nap before that." 

"You have an hour before hanging out with your boyfriend and you're choosing to sleep instead of pampering yourself up, especially when you look like you haven't showered in years."

"I guess I could use a shower," Sophie replied, looking down at herself. She had traveled back and forth between the black swan and the council, going to meeting upon meeting. A stack of papers was added to her collection, and she was happy she finished the pile from earlier that week.

"I would definitely recommend taking a shower. After that we're going to be talking about appropriate outfits for your date." Sophie ignored the mirror as she made her way towards the bathroom, hoping that Vertina would get the hint.

When Sophie returned from her shower and opened her closet she found herself doubting everything she owned. "I was doing perfectly fine until you told me that, you know," she told Vertina as she stared at all the clothing Biana, Edaline, Marella, and Linh had helped her pick out on their latest shopping trip. 

"What you were looking like was plain awful, but don't worry. Thanks to Biana most of the stuff in your closet isn't too ugly." Sophie rolled her eyes and then perked up when Vertina reminded her that blue was a color she didn't look "too bad" in. She quickly grabbed a blue dress off a hanger and put it on as quickly as she could. 

She stood back in front of Vertina and started to findle with her hair. "I think you should keep it down with that one," the mirror informed. "Although maybe a small braided headband, I could show you how!" 

Per usual, Sophie shook her head and turned down Vertina's offer. "No, you know I'd only mess it up," she stated sadly. "But I can keep it down." She grabbed her hairbrush and started to gently tug it through the knots that had formed. 

"Where are you going, anyways?" Vertina asked. 

"We're going to hang out at the normal spot," Sophie answered, cringing as  she tugged on a knot too hard and wondered if the pain was really worth looking good. 

"You guys always go to Calla's tree!"

"That's why I said the normal spot," she replied, finally getting the brush to smoothly travel through the one section of her hair. She moved to the next section, frowning. 

"I think Keefe should take you somewhere different. You guys need to try something new. Maybe one day you could go to Atlantis and visit some shop, maybe hold hands while you walk down the street to make it seem more romantic." 

Sophie thought about what she said. "That's actually not a bad idea, I'll bring it up to him," she replied. 

Vertina mock gasped. "Did Sophie Foster really just... listen to one of my ideas? Am I dying?" 

"You're technology, you can't die," Sophie replied, shaking her head in amusement. After a moment she finally finished brushing her hair, and she smiled. "How's this look?" she asked.