:: Chapter Eighteen ::

Chapter Eighteen 

"Well, yeah," Keefe started. "Obviously I think we should get married." Sophie immediately bit back her reply, beating herself up mentally for what she just brought up. Keefe looked at her, confused. "Hey, what are you thinking about Foster? Only one of us reads minds here and it's not me."

She rolled her eyes and smiled. "It's nothing, I've just been in my mind a lot recently."

"That's dangerous," he joked. "But, you know you don't have to keep it all in your mind right? Even if it's not me you want to come out to, Fitz is your cognate so you sort of have to tell him everything." She nodded and then fell back across the floor, staring at the ceiling. She wondered how out of all the men she could have been with, she chose to be with the one who wouldn't immediately get what she was insinuating. 

"Everything's good," she simply replied after a moment. "I was only in my mind about us."

"Oh." She looked over to see him frowning. "What exactly about us?" he asked. "Like, is there something wrong?"

She shook her head. "No, absolutely not. As I was mentioning earlier, what do you say we get married?"

It was as if suddenly everything in his mind clicked and he finally understood what she was saying. "Wait. Foster, are you proposing to me?"

"Maybe I'm opening up a proposal," she shot back, grinning. "So if there's anything you want to say, go ahead because I'm listening."

Suddenly he grabbed her face and brought her lips to his own, making her laugh slightly. The kiss was awkward with both of them slightly laughing, but they made it work. "Wow, Sophie, you just made my job seem a whole lot easier."

She rolled her eyes. "It's not really a hard job, Keefe."

"Fine, if it's not so hard why don't you do it?" 

"Keefe, will you marry me?" The question came out more like a statement, as if she was proving something. "There."

He laughed. "No, thanks. You were too cheap to even buy me a ring." 

She scoffed at the response and backhanded his arm. "Well, maybe I'll go find someone else who will marry me without a ring then." 

"Have fun, you'll never find anyone quite as great as I am," Keefe retorted, the words light and full of laughter signally that even though the two were talking as if they were fighting, they were joking completely. 

"I don't know, there's some pretty great guys who would love to take the chance to pick me up," she replied, grinning. "I'm quite awesome too."

"Well, in that case I have a long list of girls waiting for the Keefster to break free again." 

The two went back and forth for almost another ten minutes making jokes about breaking up and finding new people before finally breaking down into laughter, both laying against the floor almost in tears at their own jokes. 

Suddenly the laughter died out and it was silent, both thinking about everything shared. "Wait, were you serious about the whole marriage thing, though?" Keefe questioned. 

"I'm serious about it if you want to be serious about it," was her reply. They stared at each other for a few moments before finally Keefe broke the silence. 

"Well, I always imagined I'd say a really cool speech when this moment came, and I came here hyping myself up for the speech because I was hoping to ask today, but it just feels weird. I don't feel like I really need to give you a speech because it just doesn't feel like enough. I feel like you deserve everything this world can offer, much more than just a paragraph I've been saying over and over in my head up until this moment." 

Tears filled her eyes. "Well, if you've been preparing your speech for so long, it will go to waste if you don't say it," she told him, smiling. "And I can tell you that I would literally take a sentence from you, a speech almost seems like too much."

He grinned in response. "Well, get ready Foster. I'm gonna rock your socks off with my romance."

"I'm ready," she said, sitting up. 

"Actually, can you stand up? I gotta do the knee thing." She stood up and he pushed himself up into a position where he was in front of her with one knee on the ground. He took her hands in his own and said, "Wow, this is actually really terrifying."

"If it'll help, I can promise I'll say yes and cry even if the speech is bad," Sophie stated. 

"Thanks, Foster, you really know how to help a guy out," he replied, smiling to himself before clearing his throat. "Well, for starters, I just want to mention how much I love you. Even before I knew how talented you were, even before I knew you were anything special, I thought you were." Her mind flashed back to the first few months they knew each other, it was almost like she had forgotten there was a time where Keefe wasn't completely involved in her crazy life. She had especially forgotten about how he didn't know of her abilities at first. 

"Even before the whole Neverseen thing, before you were kidnapped and I found out how insanely gifted you were, I knew I wanted you in my life forever. You were the mysterious Miss. Foster, you came out of no where and changed not only my life, but the lives of everyone around you, and for better. You've inspired me to become the person I am today, and I honestly don't know where I'd be without you by my side almost everyday. I can't imagine going through the rest of my life without you. I can't imagine marrying anyone else, having a family with anyone else, or getting pointy ears with anyone else." Unconsciously her hands raised to her ears as if with just the mention of them they'd go pointy. 

"Sophie Elizabeth Foster, you are genuinely the love of my life. You make me a better person, you made my life a better life worth living, you helped me grow and meet new people and grow bonds with friends like Dex who I never would have talked to if it wasn't for you. You made me who I am today, and I'm hoping that starting now I can help you grow into your next chapter of life and that you're agreeing to take me into mine. Will you marry me?"

He tugged a small ring box from his pocket and Sophie immediately recognized the style, it was obviously made by Biana. She should've realized why Biana was so smug the last time they had talked and Keefe was brought up, but that didn't matter now. "It's so pretty!" she exclaimed, taking it from him and gently slipping it onto the ring finger on her left hand. She lifted it to study for a moment before saying, "I love this. And I love you." Keefe stood from his kneeling position and the two hugged for a moment with small kisses inbetween. 

"I love you so much," Keefe whispered in her ear, making her smile. 

"You have no idea," she replied, pulling back. Suddenly her eyes widened. "Wow. We're engaged."

Keefe laughed. "Always one to kill the mood, Foster."

---

ASDFGHJKL 

anyways i cried a lot in the past two days y'all theatre is ROUGH but i love it sm. i can't imagine what it's going to be like next week when i'm actually in the show as an actor and not just being there to help with chairs and hair and makeup. but i'm excited for what's going to happen. 

chapter questions:

1. do you like how this chapter was played out?

2. if you had the chance to ask one kotlc character one question what would it be? I'd probs ask keefe what the great gulon incident was tbh. or i'd ask forkle who sophie's parents are. or i'd ask forkle for all his identities 

3. prediction time: what do y'all think is gonna happen from here? what chapter do you think they're gonna get married?