:: Chapter Twenty-Six ::

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Are you sure you don't want to go somewhere more calm? They have amazing venues in the city," Edaline said, frowning as Sophie, Keefe, and Syden explained the plan to get married under Calla's tree. 

"Well, it's beautiful right here, mom," Sophie replied. "I mean just imagine, seats right there. We get married right there. Afterwards, I wanted to go with the human tradition of a reception party where everyone dances and has fun afterwards to celebrate the union, and I was thinking we could do that over there." Sophie gestured to all the random spots she was referencing. "It may seem weird right now but it would come together." 

"You know what? Any excuse to see my daughter more often, especially so happy, is an excuse I'll take. You have my permission to have your wedding here," Edaline replied, a grin on her face. 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Sophie excitedly pulled her adoptive mother into a hug. "Would dad be okay with it?" 

"He'll agree with me. We miss having you over here, it's been a bit lonely with just us and the animals." Edaline sighed. "So it's also a reminder to maybe check on the old folks every once and a while." 

"Well, what do we have here?" Grady started to walk over and he looked at Sophie with narrowed eyes. "You look familiar. You seem to remind me of this daughter I had once, she used to live here. She actually just recently moved out. Haven't seen her since. Feels like years. I still wonder whatever happened to her."

"Oh shush, I haven't been gone for that long," Sophie said, laughing and pulling Grady into a hug as well. "I've missed you guys."

"How have you been holding up? Work still getting to you?" Grady questioned. 

"Everything's actually been fine. Wedding planning is the real issue, I never realized how much work actually goes into planning one." She grinned. 

"How's living together?" Edaline asked. "It's usually a hard transition at first but when it's the one, you make the sacrifices and compromises."

"We've actually been alright," Sophie replied. "We have our schedules figured out, the biggest problem is how long he takes getting ready in the morning on days where we both have work." Although it was a negative comment, the grin never strayed from her face as she looked to Keefe. 

"You don't get this amazing hair with no effort," Keefe retorted. 

"I've seen you without the effort and you still look fine," Sophie replied, rolling her eyes. "He's a drama queen." Suddenly she perked up. "Wait, dad, you don't know the news yet."

He narrowed his eyes. "I didn't realize we were getting another surprise so soon? You laid the engagement and moving out on us pretty quick."

"It's not that big of one," she replied. "No, it's just that we've decided that we want to have our wedding here."

"Here?" Grady echoed. "Why here?"

"Because we love it here," Sophie replied. "But, actually, we want to get married in this exact spot because it's where we got together." 

"You guys started dating under this tree?" 

"And we want to get married under it as well, yes," Sophie answered. "Mom already said yes, but if it's a problem-"

"Oh, no, that actually sounds like a great idea," Grady replied. "Please, it'll only mean seeing you around much more."

"That's exactly what I told her," Edaline cut in. A loud growl echoed across the clearing and she sighed.