Chapter 9

I wasn't at the door long before Harry and his bright smiled welcomed me into his house.

"Aria! My, you look stunning." He grabbed my hand and spun me around playfully. Suddenly pulling me back in for a hug, he whispered, "Absolutely stunning."

I giggled turning my face away as the blush spread across my cheeks. "Well you seem rather chipper!"

Harry lowered his voice, seriousness creeping across his face, "Honestly, I just took a shot of whiskey. Dinners with my dad are never easy. Try to avoid them, honestly."

"Honestly, you're a mess." I countered, mentally laughing at his favorite drunk person word.

"Well, missy," he sling his arm around my shoulder and started ushering me through a large hallway, "I honestly think you need one too, I could get you one."

"I honestly don't think I should smell like alcohol the first time I meet your parents, but I appreciate it. Are you going to be ok?" I slowed us to a stop, putting a hand on his chest.

Harry placed his hands over mine, the warmth seeping into my hands ever so lovely.

"When I say Des isn't a nice man, I mean it. I wish you would never have to interact with him. I'm just nervous."

I place my other hand on top of his and squeeze. "No need, I'm here."

Harry blinked slowly as he smiled back at me, "Thank you."

"Besides," I say in a lighter tone, "I'll probably do something awkward and it'll take the pressure off of you!"

"I do love your awkward little fits." Harry jeered as he resumed our walk through the hallway.

Harry walked slightly ahead of me, his hands crossed behind his back gently holding one of mine as my other hand held a simple bouquet of flowers.

The already large hallway bloomed to a huge kitchen. The white cabinets looked crisp in contrast to their dark handles and the lights gleamed off the sparkling clean granite countertops. At the large center island stood a slender woman, her head bent in concentration at the book opened in front of her.

"Mum?" The woman raised her head quickly throwing a quick smile at Harry before realizing I was standing behind him.

Her smile grew to reveal white , straight teeth behind her perfect nude lipstick. "Oh, hello!" She quickly teetered from behind the island towards us. "You must be Aria! I'm Anne, it is such a pleasure to meet you."

Her accent, similar to Harry's, and her demeanor made me smile right back at her. "I am, and it's so nice to meet you too! Your house is gorgeous."

"Why thank you!" She reached out to embrace me in a sincere hug. "You have no idea how excited I am that you're here, once Harry started gushing to me about this girl he met..."

"Mum!" Harry interrupted, blushing slightly

"Oh please don't stop, I would like to hear this." I smiled mischievously up at him.

"We will have plenty of time over dinner." Anne winked at me as she turned back towards the kitchen, "Would you like any wine Aria? Red or white?"

"Red sounds great, thank you. Do you have a vase for these?" I sheepishly offer the bouquet towards her, the flowers paling in comparison to the rest of the decorations.

"How sweet of you and yes, I think I have just the one." Anne pulled a vase out of a lower cupboard, its color eerily similar to my dress. "Funny that you would be wearing that color, your mother gave me this vase years ago."