iv. september fourteenth & fifteenth

CHAPTER IVSEPTEMBER FOURTEENTH & FIFTEENTH !

CHAPTER IV
SEPTEMBER FOURTEENTH
& FIFTEENTH !

Imogen sat on the porch, sketching a small picture of her cat who was sleeping beside her. Soon growing bored she placed her notebook down and settled for watching the students pass as they come home from school. Imogen sat up straighter as she looked for Johnny; the darker-skinned boy who often preoccupied her thoughts.

A large smile spread across her face when seeing him and his friends, as usual, pass by her house. Imogen stood up, ready for him to wave or smile but he did neither. He continued walking with his friends and paid no attention to Imogen. She wondered if she should follow after him but decided against it. Maybe, since the dinner, he was embarrassed by her. Maybe she let him in to quickly and scared him off.

Imogen quickly sat back down and picked her cat up, holding the pet close to her chest. She could feel the cat purring as she pet it. Imogen jumped at the tap on her shoulder, hoping it was Johnny but it was only her mother.

"Are you going to come in now?" Her mother asked.

Imogen only nods and follows her inside.

The next day she waited outside just as she had the day before. She hadn't seen him pass by with his friends and worried that maybe he was avoiding her. Perhaps she was overthinking the entire situation. Imogen knew he had other friends to hang out with and she knew that he went to public school. He could be part of a club or have a bunch of homework that he has to go to the library for.

Her cat jumped onto her lap, scaring her and she giggled. She moved her journal and pet her cat as she watched for any sign of Johnny or his friends.

It grew later and later and she saw no sign of Johnny. She saw his parents leave, but never saw him come. Imogen frowned and got up to go inside.

September 15th 1965
He didn't say hello.