x. october sixth

CHAPTER XOCTOBER SIXTH !

CHAPTER X
OCTOBER SIXTH !

Ever since the incident at The Dingo, Imogen avoided Johnny. At least, she attempted to. He continuously tried to get her to come outside or hang out but she would refuse. Imogen's parents didn't understand but didn't question it any further.

Imogen was extremely embarrassed and was positive that Johnny wouldn't ever see her the same way again. He doesn't even like her back. He would probably be creeped out by the fact that she has watched him walk home with his friends since she moved to this old town and longed to talk to him.
Imogen couldn't even hold an actual conversation.

She just wished that she could go to school and hear and speak.

Imogen grew angry with herself for thinking that and tossed her notebook onto the floor. She laid back on her bed and stared at the ceiling, angry tears welling up in her eyes. Imogen sat back up in time to see her bedroom door open slowly. She watched as Johnny slowly walked inside. She stared  at him with wide eyes as he sat on the edge of her bed.

He eyed her notebook lying on the floor and leaned over to pick it up. Imogen didn't stop him as he looked through the pages of sketches and notes. She didn't care anymore...at least that's what she told herself.

Why're you ignoring me?

Imogen rolled her eyes.

Who let you in?

Your dad. He writes, then adds, Why're you ignoring me?

Imogen frowned and grabbed the notebook again.

I'm not.

Johnny looks up at her and shakes his head "yes."

Imogen, in response, shakes her head "no."

Johnny stares at her a while longer before she grows uncomfortable and looks away. She takes the notebook and shakily writes,

Sorry if that was weird, at the diner.

Johnny looks at her confused.

All the sketches of you. It's just, I always draw my mom and dad and I wanted to draw someone else for once and yeah.

Johnny nods, I don't mind.

Imogen closes the notebook and sets it aside. She crosses her legs on the bed and fiddles with a loose strand of her hair. The bed dips as Johnny scoots closer to her, she feels her face grow hot as his knee presses against her leg.

"Sorry about my friends," Johnny says.

Imogen shrugs.

Johnny leans a bit closer to her and she backs away, cheeks flushing as she looked everywhere but him.

Johnny gets up, "I should go," He signs, hoping he got it right and that Imogen understood.

Imogen nods and watches him leave before sighing. She gets up and follows after him.

Johnny says goodbye to her parents and steps out onto the porch, Imogen quickly follows him and grabs hold of his jacket. She hugs him once more, arms tightening around his middle. Johnny hesitates but hugs her back and smiles. Imogen pulls away first and presses a hand to his chest, feeling his heart beat. Johnny scratched the back of his neck as he felt how fast his heart was pounding. Imogen laughs a bit and takes a step back.

Sorry. She signs and Johnny wishes he had her notebook.

"Don't be sorry," He says. "Not your fault."

Imogen nods, noting that she understood and steps back inside. Johnny waves and heads back to his house, hands in his jean jacket pocket. Imogen watches as he crosses the street and enters his house. She smiles and closes the other door behind her.