vii. september twenty-fifth

CHAPTER VIISEPTEMBER TWENTY - FIFTH !

CHAPTER VII
SEPTEMBER TWENTY - FIFTH !

Imogen doesn't bring up Johnny's friends again. She wants to meet them, but the way Johnny acted when they approached the two made her nervous. They can be a little bit much, she recalled when asking him why she couldn't meet them. Besides Imogen had bigger things to deal with, like the fact that Johnny had showed up to their 'lessons' with another black eye and multiple cuts on his face.

Imogen jumped up from the porch swing upon seeing him. She signed something even though she knew he wouldn't understand. Afterwards she points to his face and frowns. Johnny shrugs and Imogen tugs him inside. Johnny follows behind her into the tiny bathroom, she points to the toilet and he quickly takes a seat on the cover.

Imogen rummages through the cabinet before pulling out bandages and rubbing alcohol. Johnny winces as she pours a bit onto a cotton ball. Imogen holds carefully onto his chin to turn his head slightly to the side. He grimaces when she dabs at the bleeding cut on his cheek.

Johnny keeps his eyes trained on the cat sitting in the doorway of the bathroom, watching them as if it could understand what was happening.

Imogen finishes cleaning the other cuts and places everything back in the cabinet. She grabs a bandaid and carefully places it on the one the cuts. She smiles once she's done and gives him a thumbs up.

"Thank you," Johnny signs, remembering what she had taught him earlier in the week.

"Welcome," she signs back.

She turns to wash her hands before leading him to her bedroom. Imogen grabs her notebook and sits criss-cross on the bed, making sure to pull her skirt over her knees. Johnny sits across from her and waits.

What happened? She writes.

Johnny shrugs.

Are you okay?

Johnny nods.

Was it your parents?

Johnny doesn't answer.

Do you want to stay over here tonight?

Johnny takes the notebook this time, I don't wanna be a burden. I have another place I can stay.

Imogen frowns, it's not a problem if you would like to stay.

Johnny thinks for a moment before nodding his head. Imogen grins.

Why don't you teach me more sign language? He asks.

"I didn't know Johnny was here," Her mother signs when entering the small bedroom.

Imogen nods, "Can he stay the night?"

Her mother looks at Johnny then to her daughter, "What about school?"

"I will wake him up, I'm usually up then anyways."

Her mother sighs then nods, "Fine but we will make him a bed on the floor. And the door stays wide open."

Imogen feels herself blush but nods her head anyways.

My mom says you can stay. Imogen writes to him. Johnny nods and continues practicing how to say different foods in sign language.

They ignore her mother as she places blankets and pillows on the floor as a makeshift bed.

You can take the bed. Imogen writes.

Johnny shakes his head, standing up to take his place on the floor.

Imogen grabs his arm and tugs him back onto the bed. She shakes her head and points at him to get under the covers. Before Johnny could get up, Imogen sits on the makeshift bed and pulls the blankets around her.

Don't you want to change? Johnny writes and passes it to her.

I'm fine. Night Johnny.

Johnny glares but shrugs off his jacket and crawls underneath the bed covers. Imogen grins as he reaches over and turns off the lamp light.

When she's sure he's sleeping, she gets up and grabs her night gown to change into. Imogen rushes to her bathroom to change.

Imogen nearly trips over the makeshift bed and reaches over to turn the light on. She frowns when seeing Johnny lying on the makeshift bed.

She taps his shoulder and glares when he looks up at her.

"Oh hey," He says, "Must've fell."

Imogen rolls her eyes and lays down beside him.

"What are you doing?" Johnny asks.

She mimics sleeping and Johnny groans.

"Sleep in the bed!" He says when Imogen looks at him again.

Imogen shakes her head and points at him then her bed. Johnny shakes his head this time. Imogen grins and closes her eyes, pulling the blanket over her. Johnny sighs and rolls into his other side, falling asleep.