v. september eighteenth

CHAPTER VSEPTEMBER EIGHTEENTH !

CHAPTER V
SEPTEMBER EIGHTEENTH !

Her mother had told her it was too cold to be sitting outside after her lessons today. Imogen didn't pay her any attention. As soon as her mother left for the grocery store, Imogen rushed outside and sat on the porch steps. She jumped up and down when seeing Johnny and clapped her hands. She waved frantically to the boy who was walking with his head down. Then she frowned, he wasn't with his friends today.

Imogen wished to call out to him. She bounced up and down on her heels before deciding to follow him. She rushed towards him, tapping his shoulder. Johnny quickly turns around. She stares at him a long time before opening her notebook.

What happened to your eye?

She stares at the bruise forming around his eye and winced. Imogen reached out to touch it but stopped when seeing Johnny flinch away. Johnny just shook his head and handed Imogen the notebook back. She dropped the notebook to the ground and pulled him into a hug, holding him tightly. Imogen felt him tense before relaxing and hugging her back. She pulled away first and picked up her notebook.

Do you want to come over?

Johnny reads over it before nodding and following her back home. She shuts the door as soon as Johnny comes inside.

"Imogen!" Johnny hears her father shout, he enters the front room. Johnny notices he talks out loud then signs to her, "What did you mother say about you going outside?"

"I'm sorry," Imogen signs back, staring at her shoes.

"Oh, hello Johnny," He says when noticing the dark haired boy. "How are you?"

"Fine," Johnny responds shaking Imogen's father's hand. "Sir," He adds.

"You kids want something to eat?" Her father asks.

Imogen shakes her head "no" the same time Johnny does.

"I'll be in my office," Her father says, "You can hang out in the living room...or in your room, just—keep the door open though."

Johnny feels his face heat up as Imogen's eyes go wide and she frantically signs something to her dad. Her father only laughs and walks off. Imogen groans and grabs Johnny's hand, pulling him towards the living room and down a small hallway. They stop at the end of the hallway in front of a brown door with an Elvis Presley poster hanging on it.

Imogen opens the door and walks inside, ushering for Johnny to follow. She leaves the door wide open behind him and shoves her clothes under the bed and in the closet, her face turning a bit red. Imogen begins signing something but remembers Johnny can't understand sign language and stops herself. She sits at the edge of her bed and pats the spot next to her.

Johnny grabs the notebook and pen from her hands.

Can you teach me sign language?

He hesitates but passes it back to Imogen who grins and claps her hands together excitedly.

We'll start with the alphabet and move from there.

Johnny nods and Imogen smiles a bit wider.

She makes a fist and holds it up. A, she writes in the notebook. Johnny mimics the action and she grins.

B, she writes this time and holds up four fingers. Johnny does the same thing. Then she makes an A and a B, Johnny repeats it.

C, she writes. Guess how to do this one.

Johnny shrugs and scratches the back of his neck. Imogen smiles and holds her hand to look like a C.

That's it? Johnny writes. Imogen nods her head in response.

She continues teaching him, making him start from the beginning to where they left off. They only made it to M, before Imogen's mother came back home. She startled the pair, mostly Johnny because Imogen had seen her come into the room.

"I didn't know Johnny was here!" Imogen's mother signs.

"Yes," Imogen signed back, "I invited him over. I am teaching him sign language."

Her mother only nods and slowly backs out of the room.

What time is it? Johnny writes her.

Imogen looks over at the clock on her desk. Almost 7pm.

Johnny frowns and reaches for the pen, I promised Ponyboy I'd go to the diner and movies with him.

You won't be staying for dinner? She writes back. 

Johnny frowns and she shrugs.

It's okay! Maybe another time, she writes.

Maybe you can come hang out with me and the gang next time, Johnny offers. Imogen grins and stands up from her bed. She stretches and holds out her hand towards him. Johnny takes hold of it and follows her to the door.

"See you tomorrow," She signs.

Johnny grins, "See you tomorrow," He signs back.

September 18th 1965
He wants to learn sign language.

Hello, I don't know sign language (even though I desperately want to learn) and I'm not deaf,, so if I describe it wrong or something I'm sorry you can like correct me ya know.