New Year's Resolution

Patrick

"10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!" I shouted over his microphone as the confetti popped all over the stadium, signalling to the end of the concert, leaving one more finale song before I am heading home to my wife --  approximately three thousand miles away.

The Sloan band had a sold-out New Year's Eve concert in London, and all of the bandmates brought their other half, all except me.

A sigh escaped me. I still remembered that day when I ran out from her. I totally regretted it when we boarded the plane to London. I missed her very much. I wanted so much to call her when I reached London but I had no courage to do so.

Callie had a last minute photography project in New York and she could not come.

"It's was not like you are on a company payroll! You own your studio, can't you just celebrate Christmas with me this year?" I yelled at her a few days before Christmas over the fact my wife had to work.

We already missed last Christmas and New Year due to both our work and this year, this was happening again.

Callie clasped her two palms flat together and apologised. "Sorry my dear, I really can't. This project overran because of some issues and I just only began the editing process."

What?!

"Does that mean you aren't coming with me to London for my New Year's eve concert?" I asked.

Again, Callie was apologetic. "Sorry~" She replied.

A rage ruptured from deep down and in anger I roared and flipped the marble dining table, crashing it to the floor. I did not turn back and left for ET's house instead. I could not face her any longer. ET had to pick up my luggage for the London trip.

"Thank you London and Happy New Year everyone!" I closed the concert with the final statement as the stage lift lowered the band group into the stage platform.

Everyone high-fived and hugged to congratulate each other for the job well done before retiring to our holding room where the ladies await.

All but Callie.

My heart again wrenched with regrets that I wanted so much to find a blank wall and punch a hole in it. Then I remembered the dining table. I kept my emotions in check and refrained myself.

Thinking back, ever since we got married, Callie had been very busy with work and they rarely had time together. Of course, Callie does compensate me well in the bedroom but I still reminisce the time when Callie was my chaperone. She was practically by my side 24/7.

Inwardly spitting at the lovey-dovey scene in front of me, I decided to walk away from the holding room to find Ettoire. I'm tired, sticky with dried up sweat and I miss my wife terribly. I wanted to just pack up and fly home immediately.

Ettoire or I usually call -- ET; was standing in the corridor speaking into his phone, a worried look on his face. The conversation must be important and urgent, judging based on his stance and his facial expressions.

"Good. You rest well. Yes, we will be back soon. Alright." I could only hear fragments of conversation as ET finished his phone call and looked up, surprised by my appearance.

"Who's that?" I asked, curious about the phone call. If it was something about our company, I need to know too.

"Nothing you need to be concerned with." He replied too quickly. My neck prickled, something was not quite right about it. He must be hiding something, but for now, I am too tired to be bothered.

"Can we go now? I'm tired." I asked.

ET nodded. "Fine, go gather the others and their things. We'll leave in 10."