t h r e e

words: 2103

after spending the afternoon in dad's officer, i was tired. i took a 30 minute nap on the couch, waking up to a door slamming. today was long and drained the life out of me, and i just wanted to go home.

dad carried me to the car and i smiled. he drove home and i reached over, grabbing his hand and he kisses the back of mine, making me smile. when we got home, he carried me and my bag inside.

"is she okay? did something happen?"

"yes, el, she's fine. she's just really tired" he laid me on my bed and took off my jacket and shoes, placing me under the cover and kissing my head.

"still your little girl, pops" i whispered and he smiled, kissing my cheek and leaving my room. i put on my pajamas with my eyes half open, falling back against my bed and going back to sleep.

----

i woke up at 5 in the morning, starving. i felt an arm draped over me, and it was el. she always snuck into my bed after she had a nightmare.

i smiled and kiss her head, getting out of bed and hopping in the shower. when i got out, it was around 530. i got dressed in a skirt and tights, doc martens and a sweater. i put on mascara and a little powder, happy with how i looked. i went into the kitchen and started the brew the coffee.

"morning"

"oh jeez!" i gasp and place a hand over my heart and laugh, turning to face dad. "morning pops"

"why are you up already?"

"i fell asleep early and i'm really hungry, i didn't have dinner last night"

"fair enough" he made a cup of coffee and i sat at the table, eating my toast. "lacey-mae?" he placed his coffee on the table and sat next to me, a hand on the back of my chair. "i love you. no matter if i raise my voice and tell you things, i will always love you, baby. you're my girl"

i smile and hug him. "i love you too dad. i'm sorry" he hugs me back, sighing and rubbing my back.

"can i join the hug?" eleven comes out and rubs her eyes. i smile and nod.

"of course you can" she comes over and wraps her arms around mine and dad's necks, our arms around her back.

"i love my girls so much"

"we love you too, pops"

we pull away and dad finishes his coffee, putting the mug in the sink. i throw away my paper plate and grab my bag. i go over to eleven who took her waffles out of the toaster. i kissed her cheek and she smiled. "be good"

"i will. love you sis"

"love you more el"

i walk over to dad and kiss his cheek, smiling at him. "bye pops, have a good day at work"

"bye sugar, have a good day at school" i wave goodbye and head out the door, listening to my walkman that steve got me for my birthday.

"hey pretty lady!" i heard and took my headphones off. i smiled and waved, looking into the car.

"hey pretty boy"

"hop in"

"of course, you don't have to ask me twice"

"i love that you're using my walkman i got you"

"it's the best present ever, steve, you're the best"

"yeah yeah, i know"

----

we got to the school and i get out and go around to steve's side. he gets out and closes his door, leaning on his car and starting at me.