t w e l v e

words: 2431

i woke up the next day to an empty bed. i looked around confused, and billy's clothes were no longer on the chair. i looked over at his pillow where he slept and saw a couple sunflowers and a note on the pillow. i smile and sat up, reading his beautiful cursive handwriting.

'Good morning princess. I'm sorry I wasn't there to witness your beauty when you wake p, but I had to leave my dad murdered me. Don't worry, you can give me my shirt back today. Oh, and thank you for the hickeys. Very nice accessory. Might want to cover the hickey up on your chest.

- Billy H.'

i set the flowers and note on my nightstand and got up, looking in the mirror and inspecting myself for other hickeys. there was one on my chest and hip, and one on the inside of my thigh. i made sure to get dressed in pants so they could cover my hickeys on my hip and thighs. i buttoned billy's shirt and threw my jacket over it. i rubbed my eye and expected my makeup to smudge, but i didn't have any one. i smiled and put on mascara, brushing my hair and putting my hair in a ponytail, and putting on some deodorant and perfume.

i grabbed my bag and set it next to the table, going into jane's room. i freaked out a minute, only to remember she had slept over max's house. i head into the kitchen and grab a pop tart, opening the package and picking up the phone.

i dial the hargrove household number and max picks up the phone.

"hi, can i help you?" she answer and i smile.

"good morning gorgeous, it's lacey. is eleven still there?" i ask, biting my pop tart.

"morning lacey, yeah she's right here" max grabs eleven and she answers the phone.

"hi lacey" eleven greets and i smile.

"hi baby, how was your first sleep over?" i throw away the wrapper and re-tie my hair up.

"it was good, we read some magazines and listened to some music. is hopper coming to get me?"

"he should be, i left him a note on his pillow" i hear a car honk and smile.

"he's here. i'll see you at home"

"i love you, jane"

"i love you more, lace. bye"

i hang up the phone and put a michael jackson record on the player, swaying my hips to "PYT". as i sang my heart out and brushed my teeth, someone knocked on the door. i spit out the toothpaste and washed out my mouth, running out, turning down the volume and opening the door.

"morning" i said and turned around, taking the needle off the record and shutting off the player.

"we need to talk about last night, lacey" he held my arm and i looked at steve. "we never use our powers, and we used them against each other" he said. i sighed and took his arm out of my grip, leaning against the counter.

"well, steve, maybe we needed to!" i raised my voice. "i don't know what happened to us, but it's scaring me. we've been together since 3rd grade and we've never, ever had a fight that bad!" i stood up and looked at him. "what went wrong?"

"i don't know, lacey, but it's scaring me too. i could not live without you, and to lose you would break me immensely, and i'd probably die. if i lost you.. if i lost you i would.. shave my head" i gasp and he cracks a smile.

"you're not serious?!" i gasp dramatically, placing my hand over my heart.

"cross my heart"

"you're insane"